Chapter 23. Trust You

■ Anne's POV ■

"Give her to me, son." Mom says, extending her outstretched arms towards David who held Carla close to him.

"Last I checked, you're not my mother and I'm not your son." David grits out through his teeth although he has a sardonic smile on his face, "And I'm not handing Carla over to you, Charlotte. The deal was between father and I. You weren't included."

Charlotte, that's my mother's name.

"Hand her over to Charlotte, Zander." The man on the throne Mr. Jonathan-although I'm damn sure it isn't his real name either-warns David, or should I say Zander?

I know this isn't the time but the name sounds so sexy. And the guy isn't any less sexier. He's a total eye candy, I swear.

Gio gives me a strange look as if he heard my inner thoughts but I simply shrug, ignoring him.

Geez. It definitely does something to my crazy heart whenever Gio looks at me like that. I better not pay attention on my mate for now.

"I'm not giving Carla to her, Father. What does she need her for anyway? Magic?" Zander ignores his father's warning and takes a step close to mother, "Sorry to burst your bubble, Charlotte, but she doesn't do magic. She's a werewolf."

Mother smiles at him, the type of smile that'll haunt you in your dreams, "Do you like her, son? Is that why you're worried about her?"

"I don't like you. That's certain." He gives another one of his sugar-coated smiles, dodging mom's question.

From where Gio and I hid behind the pillar peeking at the scene in front of us, we could see the resentment in Zander's eyes for mother. What has she done to him for him to hate her so much?

My mother. And Anthony's.

It had been years, almost a century since mom left Anthony and me in that massive house with a bunch of maids after almost sacrificing me.

I can't even remember much of mom. I was a baby back then. Even when we lived in that house for seven years before going over to Dad's pack, she never visited her children. I've known her face only from her pictures in Anthony's wardrobe which he thought he'd hidden well.

'You look like mother.' I remember my brother once telling me.

I couldn't deny it though. We did look similar. I was mom's mirror image-jade eyes, round face, dirty blonde hair and all.

"Well, I do like you, son. Even if you don't." Mom says, still smiling as she extends her slim hand to give a pat on Zander ' cheek.

"Doesn't matter." He shrugs, giving her an equally bright smile.

"What's with the behavior, Zander? She's going to be your mother! Give her some respect!" Zander ' father scolds from the throne.

Zander ignores his Dad yet again, "Respect is earned. Not forced. And she hasn't done anything to earn my respect. Besides, she can never be my mother." He shrugs, "Now if you're done, I don't have time for these petty talks. When you decide to tell where my mother is, I'll hand Carla over to you."

And with that, he starts heading towards the exit but suddenly halts on his step almost involuntarily. I can see him trying to move his feet but he's rooted to the spot.

He frowns before giving mom a murderous glare. As if he knew she had done something to stop him.

Mom flicks her wrist and in one crazy movement, Carla is lifted from Zander's arm and literally floats over to mom. Her body is floating in the air and it all gives me a deja vu sense as she remains deeply unconscious.