Chapter 4 - The Morning After (Part 2)

The music stopped abruptly, and the boys' heads turned to her.

Julie bit her lip and wrapped her arms around herself for security as she approached them.

"Hey, guys..." Julie said softly.

"Hey, Julie- Ow!" Reggie started happily before Luke kicked him.

"Band circle?" Julie offered hesitantly, and they nodded as they set down their instruments.

Julie took a seat on Luke's couch, Reggie sitting on the ground facing her, Alex taking the chair opposite of her. Luke took a seat on the other end of the couch and Julie became acutely aware of the space between them.

Julie felt nervous with all of their eyes on her, and she looked down at her hands, unsure how to start the conversation looming over them.

"You guys know that... I love this band, and I love you guys." She started, her eyes shifting from each of them and lingering on Luke for the last part.

He looked away and she felt the pit in her stomach sink further.

"And I would never intentionally do something to put everything we have built together in jeopardy. And I know how important tonight is for us." Julie continued, feeling a lump form in her throat.

"I didn't expect to go to the party last night and get wasted... But it happened, and it was shitty of me and I'm sorry." Julie felt her bottom lip tremble.

Her guilt felt like it was crushing her windpipe, her eyes filling with tears.

"It's okay, Julie. We forgive you." Reggie said gently, speaking for the group as he placed his hand on her leg.

"Mistakes happen, all we can do is learn from them." Alex soothed, giving Julie a comforting smile.

She felt her breath quicken in an effort to stop the incoming flow of raw emotion.

She looked to Luke who remained silent, his eyes focused intently on his guitar pick that he was turning over in his hand.

It was Luke's disappointment that hurt her the most because he had the most riding on the fate of the band. Music was his life, it was all he had. And she felt like she had sacrificed that, and it was enough to make her break.

"I'm sorry I let you guys down." Julie sobbed, tears spilling onto her cheeks as she pulled her legs into her chest.

That's when she felt the space next to her dip in as Luke scooted over to her, his guitar pick forgotten as his arm wrapped around her. He pulled her onto his lap, and she turned into him and cried softly into his neck. Alex sat on the other side of Luke, and he gently rubbed her back as Reggie cuddled up beside her.

Julie calmed quickly due to all of the physical affection she was receiving. As her cries turned to sniffles she snuggled into Luke.

"You haven't soiled our chances yet, we still have a killer performance to give tonight." Luke finally spoke and the slight sarcasm in his voice lifted her spirits.

"Are you feeling up for it?" Luke asked her gently, his thumb gently stroking her arm.

Despite everything, her well-being was still more important to him than any gig. 

Julie pulled away from where she had retreated into his neck, wiping her face and nodding.

Luke was looking at her with so much adoration, as if she had just given him the world. She lost herself in his eyes, melting into him as the intensity of his gaze drew her in.

"I'll go get you some more water!" Reggie called before retreating.

That was probably a good idea. She was already dehydrated from drinking, and crying certainly didn't help her situation.