«𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐏𝐀𝐑𝐀𝐃𝐎𝐗 𝐎𝐅 𝐊𝐍𝐎𝐖𝐈𝐍𝐆»

Chapter Two:

Unbeknownst to me was the time my mind was left dwindling within the expansive lake that was the unconsciousness. And even though I was soon liberated, uncertainty clung to my body like the lake water that'd forever entangle my being.

Met with nature and the level of serenity it brought, I became relaxed. Almost as though my uncertainty was meaningless. Almost as though the scent of fresh soil and fawn awakened the primitive in my genes. The primitive part of me that whispered that that was all there was.

I might as well be a caveman. I was ignorant and left out in nature. Well, it at least was the most primitive I could get.

I was leaning, once again, onto the back of a familiar hardness, but this time it felt better; natural. I finally took in my surroundings.

Poured in with an elegance that knew no equal was the glorified air, blessed with the grace of mother nature as it settled in and out of my body. Lounging itself onto my tongue was a taste that exceeded all sensations, a nip enthroned with the honor of being titled the finest as the light reverberations of exotic birds echoed within the walls of my ear canals. And lastly, knowing no such thing as the term flaw, never being bound by the chains of imperfection, was the scenery that stretched out before me.

Due to perspective, I was left unable to completely identify the height at which the fawn trees grew, but I assumed they were huge, coated in luscious leaves that barely fell onto the carpet of patches of grass and soil as it was swept into the wind; the wind that uplifted my golden waves into itself as it reached all the way up to where I sat.
All the way up to where I sat. All. The way up. To where. I. Sat. My mind threaded along carefully.

As steady as an experienced kid cheating on an exam, I looked down at where I sat.

Horrified by what I saw, I pounced to my feet, which wasn't the wisest thing to do, as I nearly fell straight into the wide arms of death.

By instinct, I laid against the - what I then recognized as a - mountain, hugging it ineffectively, as I didn't get the chance to turn around.

I looked down. Built by cement was a walkway that was, in lengthways, long enough to reach the crease behind my knees with my back against the mountain. This walkway seemed to stretch completely around the tedious expanse that was the mountain. A drop from there could have killed a dinosaur.

Slowly and somehow effectively, I managed to turn around and hug it. I just couldn't trust myself, especially in the groggy state of mind I was in to not slip off the face of the world.

Yeah, because that's what it felt like. Like every step I took, literally dictated my life.

The tears within me died out before they could even spill at the sound of eagles screeching in the distance. The distance soon became the past as the sounds with their creators periodically drew nearer.

A shaky breath escaped the governance of my lips.

Okay, okay. Calm down. You're gonna be okay. I tried to tell myself, but it was a lie I couldn't even persuade myself to believe. What a lawyer I'd be. I thought, followed by, maybe this is the universe's way of telling me I shouldn't become one. He's not even giving me the chance to become something else. I complained in my head, allowing a whimper to escape my lips.

I sucked a deep breath all the way to my soul before purging it from my body, blowing my cheeks out, and letting it slowly become deflated to symbolize my hope.

I dragged my feet across the cement, unintentionally attracting the attention of the eagles all the while. They were now closer than ever and I couldn't even see anything leading to liberation yet.