chapter 7

Luke

I slowly unlock the door to my classroom. I walk inside and shut the door behind me. I'm twenty minutes early today. My feet carry me to the desk and I basically fall into my chair. I sigh as I open my briefcase to pull out my planner and notebook. My tired eyes read over the lesson plans I wrote for today. A yawn escapes my mouth every few minutes.

After I took Cassi home last night, I went straight home and crawled into bed. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to continue reading the book that I was looking forward to finishing. I tried to sleep, but the problem was that I couldn't. My mind was keeping me awake. I thought of Cassi and how she was so intrigued by my house. I thought about our car ride home. It didn't feel awkward driving a student home, it felt natural. My mind then started thinking about the questions she asked me, and how I so easily opened up about my friends.

Then, from the late hours of the night to the early hours of the morning, I thought about them. I thought about Michael and Calum and Ashton. I reflected on the fact that I had not talked to them for a long time. All I could think about was the last day we all hung out together. That feels like ages ago. I began to feel the need to contact them, and I'm still feeling that this morning. However, I don't know how to contact them. I don't even know where they are or what they're up to these days. All I know is that I miss them, and I wish I could tell them that.

Suddenly the first bell rings. I jump up from my slouched position and check my watch. How did twenty minutes go by so quickly? I wasted my time to prepare by once again thinking about Michael, Calum, and Ashton. I scurry around my desk to open the classroom door. A few of the students waiting outside enter into the classroom and head to their seats. I greet each one with a smile and a hello. Every time I speak, I feel the urge to yawn. I really wish I brought some coffee with me today. Luckily I have a free period during second period classes. I can use that time to get coffee and maybe have a quick nap in my car.

I walk back to my desk and sit down, waiting for the late bell to ring. I check my watch again, less than one minute left. I take out the stack of quizzes from my briefcase that I printed out last night. I start organizing things on my desk so that I can be ready to start once the bell rings. My eyes move up to look at my class. All the seats are full except for one. Cassi's. I roll my eyes. I'm putting too much faith into Cassi. I should know that she isn't going to try. At least the many hungover students in my class put forth the effort to be here.

As soon as the late bell rings, I stand up and walk to the door.

"Good morning everyone. Get out a clean piece of paper and a pencil." I say. I grab the door handle and begin to pull it closed. The door is almost halfway shut when I see Cassi quickly coming around the corner. We make eye contact and I shake my head.

"Ah, Cassi. Late again." I am disappointed.

"Sorry, Mr. Hemmings," Cassi mutters as squeezes into the classroom.

"You know I actually expected you to be here on time today," I reply. Cassi turns around the face me

"Expect the unexpected," Cassi says with a smirk. She turns on her heels and walks to her desk. I watch as the girl sitting beside Cassi leans over to whisper something to her. Cassi then nods her head and gets out a piece of paper and a pencil.

"Okay. Today we are going to take a pop quiz." I say and walk back to my desk. I can hear quiet groans and whines coming from behind me."The quiz is going to be on Romeo and Juliet. I want to see what you know and understand about this play before we read it."

I grab the quizzes off my desk. I walk up and down the rows of desks, handing each student a quiz.

"Make sure you write your first and last names on the top of the quiz. You will write your answers on the quiz. There is a short writing portion of the quiz. You will write your paragraph on the piece of paper I instructed you to get out." I place the final quiz on Cassi's desk and head back to my own.