Hope crouched in front of a large branch to see the slime they were tracking was smeared in the fallen tree. "Over here. Found this guy's trail"

For once, Kayla seemed curious following after Hope down the length of the tree, stopping at the edge of the woods, seeing the trail continued toward the local high school.

Kayla grimaced, "Perfect. Monsters and school. The best combination of Hell"

Hope sighed, shaking her head, wondering since when Kayla became so chatty.

~8~

Hope and Kayla walked down the hallways of the school, following the slime trail, seeing there was no student was out, feeling rather lucky to not come across someone witnessing something supernatural.

They followed the trail to a door that said janitorial, looking at each other silently.

Kayla nodded at Hope, stepping back, watching the tribid look side ways making sure they were alone, facing the door, "Dissera Portus"

The door opened up to show nothing inside, just brooms and mops.

The girls relaxed their tense posture.

Kayla shoved her hands to her jacket pockets as Hope began making her way to the janitor closet when a guy's voice coming from one end of the hallway stopped her. "Aren't you a little short for a janitor?" They both turned to face him, startled. The guy chuckled, glancing between the door and them in amusement "It's nice to know I'm not the only one trying to hide out on the first day of school"

Oh, great. First day of school and they looked like scared kittens.

Kayla scowled slightly.

"Oh, no, I-I wasn't hiding" Hope stammered, glancing at Kayla for a little help but the cheeky bitch of her best friend smirked at her, looking away, pretending to not notice making Hope curse mentally as she looked back at the guy "I-I was, um, uh, we were looking for the principal's office"

Kayla rolled her eyes as she heard Hope include her, shooting her a look, "Bitch" she murmured, huffing.

The guy just smiled, shaking his head, "Well, you're in luck. I'm new, too, but I'm pretty sure that's him right behind you"

The guy pointed out behind them.

"Hi" They heard a familiar voice greet them. Hope and Kayla turned around to face Alaric, eyes slightly widening in surprise. What the hell was he doing here and not the Salvatore School? The guy smiled at Alaric, nodding, walking past him, leaving the three of them alone. "I'm Principal Saltzman. Who are you?"

Kayla and Hope stared at him, not knowing what to say.

~8~

Kayla and Hope found each other sitting in front of Alaric at the Principal's office as he looked confused at their records.

Records Hope had conjured up the moment Alaric wasn't looking, however that didn't stop the man from not being oblivious as to what was in front of him.

"You two are blank slates, Miss Hope and Mikayla... Marshall?" Alaric raised his eyebrows. "Parents Tom and Kathleen"

"Don't give us that look" Kayla shot at him, "I'm adopted. That's why we don't look alike"

Alaric had his fair share of students and friends easily getting to the defensive that he barely bat an eyelid at the dark haired girl, "It's not what I meant. No transcripts from your last school"

Hope shrugged, "I think they must've just gotten packed away or something. Like I said, we move around a lot"

Alaric didn't look very convinced, nodding slightly. "Mm-hmm. Well, if you are gonna be here in Mystic Falls, you have to go to school"