Communication Gap

Start from the beginning

She waited a minute, and then called again, but this time it went straight to voicemail. How strange.

***

Devyani's lip curled in disdain as she spotted the caller ID on the phone laying on the couch. She declined the call, before turning the phone off and slipping it in between the cushions. A few minutes later, when Arnav asked if she had seen his phone, she unhesitantly said no.

***

Manorama preened as praise was lavished on her daughter-in-law. "Well, of course, Mrs. Sharma. My son's taste is impeccable. After all, he takes after me."

"So it was a love marriage."

"Hello, hi, bye-bye, of course. My son's happiness is the most important thing to me. Of course, Akash bitwa did say to me though that he wouldn't marry without my approval, but look at her. How could I not approve?"

Underneath her gunghat, Payal smiled shyly. Her mun dikhaye rasm was going well. In fact, so far, everything had been a dream. The Raizadas had loved her breakfast and later, before she went to get ready for her Munh Dikhayi, Manohar had pulled her aside. "Bahu, I just wanted to say...I know you must be missing your father a lot. My father also wasn't with me when I got married, and I can understand how bittersweet all these events must be for you. I know I can't ever replace him, but just like him, I'll always support you."

Overwhelmed, she'd burst into tears and when Manohar hugged her in comfort, for the first time since her father's death, Payal didn't feel like an orphan.

As another guest lifted her veil, her eyes found Akash's, who stood a short distance away. He smiled warmly and happiness coursed through her. Yes, everything was like a dream. A beautiful, perfect dream.

***

This was a nightmare, Khushi thought as she rubbed at her growing headache. Ten minutes ago, Vristi had discovered that Khushi was going to take Buaji to the doctor. And for ten minutes, she'd been going on about how Khushi was overstepping her boundaries. Annoyed as she was, Khushi was determined not to respond.

"What's going on?" Buaji said. She'd been getting ready and up until now, had been unaware of Vristi's latest tantrum.

Vristi glared at her. "You're not going anywhere."

"Excuse me?" Khushi said, infuriated. Tolerating Vristi's yapping was one thing, but Khushi would not compromise on Buaji's health.

Vristi sneered. "You heard me. Amma Ji isn't going anywhere with you."

Khushi took a deep breath to calm herself. "Bhabi, this appointment is important. Fine, if you don't want me to go, then you go with her."

"We don't have time to waste--"

"Vristi, that's enough," Arjun cut in. "Amma Ji's health isn't a waste of time."

Khushi blinked in surprise. Was he actually defending Buaji? "So you'll go to the appointment then?"

He started to nod but Vristi whined, "My cousin invited us for dinner; we can't miss that. Who knows how long the appointment will take?"

Arjun frowned but said nothing. Rolling her eyes, Khushi said, "Fine. Then I'll take Buaji like I planned. Let's go, Buaji."

The elderly woman, who'd been watching the drama unfold in miserable silence, sighed and followed Khushi out the door.

***

"You're next, Arnav Bitwa," yet another guest teased.

Arnav bit back a scalding retort. It was the tenth time that someone had made this comment. This was why he didn't want to attend the Munh Dikhayi. But Di had insisted, saying that he needed to be there to support Akash.