Just Another Monday

"Come in," Akash said, in response to the knock on his door. "Morning, Di," he said, glancing at her reflection in his mirror.

"You're getting ready for work? Don't you think you should rest?" she questioned, concern written on her face. Akash had cooped himself in his room after they'd gotten back home on Saturday and then all of Sunday, he'd been in bed due to a fever.

"I'm fine, Di."

"I came to see if you wanted me to send breakfast up."

"It's fine. I'll come down and eat with everyone else."

She watched as he worked on his tie. "You're my brother, you know that? Just like Chote. Sometimes, I think that I understand you better than him. But these last two days--" his hands stopped moving. "I don't know, Akash. I don't understand why you're acting like you're no longer interested in Payal."

"What's the point? Ma ji will never accept her. She'll make her life a living hell."

"Mothers and daughter-in-laws argue. They fight. This is common. But eventually, they find a balance that works for them. It'll be like that for Payal and Mamiji, too. And Payal's a strong girl; as long as she has your support, she'll handle Mamiji. You saw how she responded to Chote the other day."

"And that's the problem. You just said it yourself--a husband should support his wife."

"And you will, Akash--"

"I won't because I can't. Even at her house, when Ma ji and Bhai were degrading her, I couldn't say anything. It was Khushi Ji who defended her. Same thing at the office: Bhai is unfair to her, because of me. And I've never stood up to him. It's always you.

"I don't deserve her, Di. I'm not worthy of being anyone's husband, let alone hers."

"Akash bitwa," Manorama chirped as she bounded up to Akash's open door, causing the cousins to halt their conversation. "Oh Anjali betiya, you're here, too. What's this, Akash bitwa? You're all dressed for work. You should stay home and rest today!"

"I'm fine, Ma ji. I was just telling Di that we have some important meetings and we shouldn't miss them."

"Yes, of course. Hello, hi, bye-bye, my bitwa works so hard. I wanted to give you these pictures. Look at them today and tell me by evening which one you want, okay?" She forcefully thrust the photos into Akash's hand and practically skipped out of the room.

Frustrated, he threw the photos on the dresser. "Should I pick a bride the way she picks saris from a catalogue? I can't, Di. I can't even look at any of them."

"Relax, okay? Let's go down for breakfast. You need to eat something. I'll run interference between you and Mamiji so she won't say anything about this again."

"Sometimes I think you're the only one who really cares about me in this house, Di."

"That's not true, Akash. You matter--to all of us. Now come on, let's go."

***

Any update on Anya? Khushi texted Lavanya as she walked into the firm. Waving good morning at the receptionist and at any colleagues she passed by, she made a beeline for her office.

Contrary to most people, she liked Mondays. The fresh start to the week always sent a burst of energy through her. First order of business was a phone call to a client.

It was close to midday when Khushi finally got a response from Lavanya. She won't let anyone treat her--male or female.

Shaking her head with disappointment, Khushi looked at her Devi Mayan statue. "It's not fair. Can't you make things easier for her? Please."