On the tenth day

"Coming, Nand Kishore," Buaji called as she bustled to the front door. It was a little early for visitors, she thought before opening it and blinking in surprise. "Titliya? Did you forget something?"

"No, Buaji. Um...I'm not feeling well."

Madhumati stepped aside to let Khushi in. "You do look pale. It's all this work you're doing. Go change; I'll make you some soup."

Khushi smiled weakly at the older woman's fussing. "It's alright, Buaji. I just want to rest."

"Okay, go ahead, Titliya."

Half an hour later, there was another knock on the door. Madhumati lowered the flame before going to answer it.

"Payalia? You're back, too?"

"Too--so Khushi is here?"

"Yes, but why are you here? Oh!" Buaji startled as she looked past Payal and saw that Akash, Anjali and Arnav were standing behind her. "Come in, come in."

After everyone had entered and greeted Buaji, Payal asked, "Where is she?"

"She's resting in her room." Buaji frowned as she tried to make sense of what was happening. "Did she tell you she was sick?"

The four young people exchanged glances, causing Madhumati's guard to go up. "What are you hiding?"

"Nothing, Buaji," Payal said hastily.

Before Madhumati could launch into an investigation, the phone rang.

"There's no peace in this house today," she muttered to herself as she went to answer it. "Hello?...Yes, Prisha, what is it?...What are you talking about?...What nonsense; she's right here at home!...What?...Okay, okay."

"What was Prisha Bua saying?" Payal asked cautiously after Buaji hung up.

"Never mind that now," Madhumati replied distractedly. "Where's the remote--oh, right here."

"Buaji, maybe you shouldn't--" but it was too late.

Buaji had already turned on the news.

***

Khushi shut her eyes tightly as she wrapped her blanket tighter around her. But it seemed like the gunshot still rang in her ears.

Where did all that courage go now, Khushi? All that bravado? Look at you now, hiding under your covers like a scared little girl. Just like that child rapist wants.

Infuriated at her own weakness, Khushi got out of bed. If she lay like this, she would go insane. She needed to do something to soothe her nerves. Jalebi. I need to make jalebi.

But she regretted it the second she stepped out of room and saw the nightmare that she'd just survived playing on the television screen.

"Yes, viewers, once again, you're seeing on screen right now the face-off between Vikrant Amit and Khushi Kumari Gupta. This footage was recorded by a taxi driver who witnessed the whole thing."

The reporter quieted long enough for the clip to play out.

Vikrant Amit and several armed guards stood on top of an open jeep, yelling into a megaphone.

"Come out, my darling," he slurred. "Do you think you're going to run away from me? You're mine, little girl. You can't escape from me." He moved the megaphone away from his face, but his instructions to his guard were still heard. "Shoot in the air. If nobody comes out, then you'll shoot at the building."

The guard shot into the air. For a few moments, nothing happened. The guard lifted his gun to shoot at the building but then lowered it.

Khushi walked into view, stopping a few meters away from the open jeep.