Unexpected Visitors

"I'm ready," Manorama crowed as she clunked down the stairs, Manohar following behind quietly as usual.

"Finally," Devyani said, shaking her head. She strode towards the door, family in tow, and flung it open only to step back in astonishment.

"SURPRISE!"

"Dadiji!" the young man said cheerfully as he placed his suitcase on the floor before pulling the Raizada matriarch in for a hug.

Before she could say a word, Manorama rushed forward. "NK, bitwa! It's been so long!"

Arnav grimaced. NK dropped by to visit at least once every six months. Fortunately, the last time, Arnav had been abroad and so he'd managed to avoid Akash's annoying cousin. But it looked like there'd be no escape this time.

"Nannav! How are you, bro?"

"Fine," Arnav answered stiffly, pointedly ignoring the fist that NK held out for him to bump.

Shrugging it off with his usual good humor, NK greeted Manohar, Akash and Anjali before spotting Aarav, peeking out from behind Anjali's legs. "And who's this?"

"This is Aarav," Anjali beamed.

"Nice to meet you, little buddy." NK held out a hand for the boy to shake.

"If you're done," Arnav interjected impatiently, "we have to go."

"Oh, that's cool. I'll just leave my stuff here; I have to go to the hospital anyway."

"Hello hi, bye bye," Manorama exclaimed in alarm. "What happened?"

NK laughed. "Surprise number two: I've transferred to Delhi!"

Arnav almost groaned out loud. NK was a doctor, educated and trained abroad, but decided to move to India for practice a year and a half ago. Up until now, he'd been in Agra. "So you're moving here."

"Yup," NK acquiesced cheerfully.

"Perfect," Arnav muttered. "Just perfect."

***

Madhumati hummed to herself as she walked down her bustling street, on her way back from a neighbor's, occasionally stopping to call out or answer a greeting. She watched curiously as a shiny black car pulled up alongside her. The window rolled down to reveal the driver, a pretty girl with round cheeks who said to her, "Excuse me?"

"Yes?"

"Do you know where this address is?" she asked and to Madhumati's surprise, she rattled off her address.

"That's my house. What do you need, betiya?"

"Oh, you must be Payal Ji's Buaji. I'm Anjali Raizada--"

Understanding dawned on Buaji. "Oh yes, Payalia's boss. She's talked about you. My house is right there," she said, indicating the house in front of them.

"Great!" Anjali beamed. "You all go ahead; I'll park and come." Then to Madhumati's astonishment, all the doors opened and people seemed to pour out of the car.

"Hai Nand Kishore," Buaji gasped.

A young man with glasses stepped towards her with a nervous smile. "Namaste, Buaji. I'm--"

A heavily overdressed woman stopped him. "We can do hello his later. All this dust is ruining my skin. And it's so hot." She waved her hands about in panic, while Madhumati stared at her in wonder.

An elderly lady shook her head at her. "Calm down, Manorama."

"Naniji, we should really get inside," a serious looking young man said, looking about with obvious distaste. "We're attracting a lot of attention here."