The Weeping Golden Willow

Start from the beginning

"Someone must be excited" the memory of his voice echoed in her thoughts.

She pushed the image of Charlie tiredly smiling at her that day out of her mind, huffing as she did. She felt a sense of revulsion at how naive she was back then, how she thought things were going to be so simple at this new school. Then again, she didn't know what to expect as she had never been to a proper school and had faint memories of the times she had once attended one. Her father died in the midst of her first year of school, and so her mother insisted she should be tutored at home until she believed she was ready. Her mother tutored her until she was 13 and then suddenly Barbara Torvack, a friend of her mothers, stepped in and continued until just recently. Audrey paused for a moment as she looked through Charlie's bag, just now realising why she never went to school.

"Because your letter was delayed" Charlie's voice spoke as she remembered the day he had come over for tea before they left for Dostira.

"Audrey, we thought you had lost your powers" her mothers voice rang in her head, as memories flashed through her mind.

"She was waiting," Audrey whispered to herself, "she was waiting for my letter".

Suddenly she heard the sound of windows violently shattering, her head snapped up and she slowly stood up to make her way towards the window. She peered down and her eyes widened when she saw Kane on the grass below, he lay on his back grimacing as Edison hovered above him with his wings swooshing as they flapped.

"Ouch" she said, while looking at him with raised brows before falling to the floor and quickly going back to looking through the brown leather bag.

She felt cold metal against her fingertips and quickly pulled out Charlie's car keys, but relief did not accompany her as she rushed out of the room. She slammed the door behind her, her heart pattering within chest as she hoped that Bella and Nora had already gotten the gate keys by now.

Kane lay on the grass, his back aching as he half opened his eyes to see Edison flying above him and students looking out of their windows curiously while murmuring.

"Come on, get up!" Edison spluttered, his wings furiously flickering and sweeping wind into Kane's face.

"They better have the keys by now" Kane muttered to himself as he slowly lifted his twinging body off the ground.

Feeling a throbbing pain shooting throughout his body and stabbing at his back, reminded him of his fight with Charlie. He could feel himself getting emotional, his powers wavering as doubt began pricking at his mind.

"What was that?" Edison called out, as teachers began flooding the grounds.

"I said fuck you" Kane growled, looking up at him with glaring eyes.

As he saw Edison flying down towards him, he planted his feet firm in the grassy ground and clenched his jaw. While Edison moved closer towards him, Kane crouched down and quickly moved out of the way as his hand aimed for Edison's neck. Kane felt the fleeting speed of his wings tug at him before tightening his grip around his neck, slamming him into the ground beside his feet with a raucous thud before quickly letting go.

Edison coughed, his body writhing against the grass as his wings convulsed. He leaned to the side and slowly stood up, his weary eyes beginning to fill with rage and fury as his breathing quickened.

"You get one hit, come on" Kane said, turning his cheek towards him and tapping it with a finger in a mocking manner.

Kane heard a small chuckle before feeling a firm force kick him in the stomach, violently pushing the air out of his lungs as his back vigorously struck the grass once again. His body curled up against the dirt, as his hands held his stomach and he gasped for air. Audrey rushed over towards them, letting out a sigh when seeing Nora and Bella approaching him.