Ep. 1 Pt. 8: Calling

"Morning, Grandad!"

"Good morning, Grandson!" Graham and Ryan grinned at each other as Ryan passed through the kitchen.

"Well, well, well," said Grace, frowning over at both of them. "I have no idea what happened in that broken down train last night but I hope I'm not looking at dream versions of you two from a coma."

"Perish the thought!" Graham exclaimed.

"Let's just say we've settled our differences in the face of a common enemy."

"Oh-ho-ho-okay," Grace chuckled. Ryan loved to see her in a good mood. He was glad he could give her a reason to do so.

The light filtering through the curtains was orange and it was a bright day outside. Ryan glanced through and saw... a familiar face.

"Um, Grandad," Ryan whispered to Graham. "I might be out for... a while. Is that okay with you?"

"Fine by me," Graham stated. Ryan bounded out of the kitchen and heard a call from Grace: "Ryan, love? Where're you going?" and an unheard explanation in Graham's voice.

They would be fine! He had something else on the horizon.

He leapt out the door and yes! He could see her! She was across the street in the park. She wore a new custard coloured suit. She saw him, smiled on one side of her mouth, and began to walk away.

The tease! Where was she going?

"Ryan!" came someone blocking his path.

"Oh! Hi. Yaz?"

"Yes. Hello? What're you looking at?" She turned.

"Nothing, nothing. What brings you here? Are you on duty?"

"Y-yeah. Something wrong?"

"No, no. Go on. What were you saying?"

He could see it now. The blue box was there! Just on the edge of the park, behind a tree. He almost hadn't noticed it...

"- you about the Doctor. I mean, after I called reinforcements yesterday, you know I pretty much had to lie my way out of there, right?"

"Yeah? Um, naturally."

"Exactly. Which could put me in a lot of trouble if there was any follow-up."

"But you had to call someone... How else would we have helped everyone affected? Someone had to come and help the other passengers get home. Someone had to speak to the family of the train driver..." He held both of Yaz's shoulders. "You did a good thing, Yaz. You won't be in trouble for that."

He had successfully inched her to the right. Now he could keep the blue box in view. The Doctor still stood smugly in front of it.

"Thanks, Ryan," she said. Was she blushing? He couldn't tell. She might just be annoyed by his touch. He withdrew his hands. "What I came to ask you is... Did the Doctor tell you anything, before she vanished? In that phone box of hers? How did she take care of the alien? Are we sure he won't be back?"

"How... would I know?"

"Ryan?" She set her jaw. "Ryan, who was she? Who was this person who turned up out of the blue just when we happened to have a hostile invasion?"

Ryan didn't respond. The Doctor had winked at him and opened up the box's door.

"Ryan, what was her name? Are you listening to me?! Who was she? Doctor WHO?!"

Yaz was clearly panicking right now. The Doctor had walked into the box. But she had left the door ajar.

She had left the door ajar.