VIII: "So This is Love" [18+]

It could have been the thousandth time they'd said I love you to one another with the lines falling from their lips naturally, but what used to be a hollow routine phrase had transpired into something more — burdened with gravity in each syllable and a string of repercussions.

Evelyn thought about love seriously for the first time in her life, even if she knew pondering would go nowhere — not even the greatest philosopher could decipher it, for every love is unprecedented, like this one.

Being thirty feet above the ground, the moon and the flickering stars seemed to be only an arm's length away, yet Bobby wasn't too sure if he'd reached Evelyn just yet. Did he come on too strong? Waited too long? What if she was only saying it back because he cornered her? Then, he received his answer.

"Did you hear me?" Evelyn raised her voice, making sure he heard her, "I said I love you."

A thousand violins began to play as Bobby turned to face her. "Do you mean it?"

She felt like Persinette; the fairytale princess who spent all her life in a silver tower, waiting for a hero to ask for her hair, then hand. "I've never said it so... desperately before," she answered.

"Neither have I..." the Prince nodded, returning to his throne on the roof beside her. "But it's the truest thing."

Evelyn smiled, the moonlight further exposing her incarnadined face. "What are we going to do now?" Her gaze shifted, avoiding the blue eyes — she didn't think she could hold back.

Bobby reached for her with cold hands that hadn't stopped trembling. "We do what lovers do," he said, with an equally quavering voice.

"And what do lovers do?" It was as though Evelyn truly was confined from the rest of the world; remaining young, impressionable, and innocent.

"They love each other... like there's no tomorrow."

The fairytale began when Bobby pressed his tender lips against hers, placing her into a trance that would take a lifetime to break. But he lingered, fearfully unmoved, waiting for something apocalyptic to befall them. If it was wrong and against the law of nature, there'd be a divine intervention; yet the earth did not split into two, nor did the stars and constellations fall out of the sky. The only thing divine was their love.

Before Evelyn could open her eyes to question Bobby, he'd parted her lips with the tip of his tongue easily. She let out a reluctant moan, then blushed, wondering if it was the right thing to do. She never did have the guts to French kiss a boy, ironically, and now that she was, her inexperience overwhelmed her.

Bobby, sensing her hesitation, pulled away just a few inches. "It's okay, kissing can wait..." he reassured, furtively tugging on the straining fabric around his crotch.

"I'm sorry." Evelyn shook her head regretfully, "I keep worrying this might be a dream." She chuckled at the peculiarities of dating a man she'd forced to consider a brother.

He took hold of her wrist and pinched her little flesh between his fingers. "Dreams don't allow you to get to the good stuff..." he caressed the softness after.

"Kiss me, then," Evelyn demanded, "This time don't stop for anything." Her heart skipped several beats at once, both impulsive and implosive.

Bobby didn't waste a second to capture her saccharine lips, his hand grasped a fistful of her curls to send her to heaven. The rapture lasted for an eternity as they consumed each other, absorbing the exquisite taste of Lucky Strikes and whiskey older than themselves — a taste that isn't acquired but required. He was insatiable in the way he wrapped his arms around the feminine body, making Evelyn shiver as he cupped her bosom in his hand.