Chapter 3 - Dinner With The Family

Once I'd said bye to Alfie I practically skipped my way home. He was so different; firstly, he actually paid attention to me, he wanted to know about me and no one does that at school. Then he gave off a rebellious attitude but when I was with him I could tell he cared about things and wasn't just a dick.
By the time I'd finished processing the experience of today I was at my house. I'm gunna be in so much trouble but to be honest I don't think I care; it's been such a good day.

"Eliza, where have you been. I've been calling you for hours!" My dad exclaimed, glaring at me.

"I just went for a walk to the woods, I do all the time. Why are you stressing out?" I muttered and rolled my eyes.

"It's dark, you could have been anywhere for all I knew, why weren't you answering your phone?" My dad continued his rant. This has happened before but I'm never in trouble just the usual speech about stranger danger, geez, I'm fifteen.

"I left it in my backpack and it was on silent, sorry." This conversation was boring me. "Can I go to my room now?" I question.

"No, we're all going to sit down and have dinner like a real family."

So I took my place at the table, next to my brother and opposite my stepmom, it hasn't changed for years. I hate eating at the table, dinner with the family is always boring, talking about our day and the food is shit when my dad cooks. Obviously he did today. Just my luck.
I managed to push around my lasagna for ten minutes before Rose asked me ever so sweetly why I hadn't eaten anything, it's like they don't know anything about me, I haven't eaten lasagna since I was like six.

"So, what have you kids been up to today?" Rose said, trying to make small talk. I hate small talk.

"I went to Kate's house and we uh, studied for a Chemistry test on Monday." Jamie lied. Kate is his girlfriend, they've been together for just over a year and there was no way in hell they were studying. They were fucking.

"Oh that sounds nice, what about you Eliza?"

"I met a cute boy in the woods and let him take me somewhere I didn't know when I didn't even know his name." I said, but obviously I didn't, what I really said was "Not much, went to a café." I wasn't the only one lying tonight.

"Is that so, Mrs Havers from next door said she saw you in that cute café, what's it called? The Coffee Cottage. She said you were with a boy." Rose remarked, I was going to kill her!

"Yeah and what about it?" I growled glancing towards my dad who remained silent, he never joining in when an argument was brewing between me and Rose, he says he wants to keep the mood mellow. Although they both claimed to be hippies Rose mainly just joined in for my Dad so he was always the more chilled out parental figure.

"Well you never mentioned it, that's all." Rose countered. She can be such a bitch sometimes! Jamie was always her favourite child because he likes art.

It's like I'm still five or something, am I allowed any freedom? I mean I could see where she was coming from, I didn't even know the boy but it's my life and she's not even my real mom.

"So, are you going to tell me about this young man?" Inquired Rose, why couldn't she just shut up and leave it?

"Yeah, he's a drug dealer and he's 23 but don't worry, he only had two children" I smiled at the shocked faces looking my way.

"What? This isn't a joke Eliza, stop being so stupid!"

"What is it to do with you anyway?"

"I'm your mom, it's my right to know these things."

"You are not and you never will be my mom, don't you fucking dare try to replace her because you can't. I hate it here, God I can't wait to leave this house! I stood up and with that I ran to my room in tears.

<< do you guys like this? I feel like it's bad because I'm bad at dialogue but ergh >>