vi. scars and souvenirs

Start from the beginning

"Your Graces, Your Majesties," she greeted, her voice as delicate as necklace she wore.  

"Katherine! How lovely it is to see you," Henry greeted. He motioned for her to come closer and she obeyed, albeit a bit hesitantly. Henry scooted over on his throne, leaving a gap big enough for Kate to sit in. He lowered his voice so that only Katherine and I could hear. "I am sorry you and Anne missed the festivities. There will be more things for you to attend, though."

The little princess nodded obediently. "I forgive you. Anne and I had dancing and French lessons that day anyway. I'm getting very good at French," she boasted, "Lady Bryan says that I'll be better than her soon."

"That's wonderful," I said, smiling at her warmly.

"Kate, this is the Whitewood family," Henry said, completely disregarding my compliment to Kate, "Their son James is to be your husband when you are older. He will be the Duke of Wessex one day, and the king if he marries you."

Her little brown eyes widened when she looked at the family. She glanced at each person, carefully studying them, and I couldn't help but wonder what was going through her mind. "Which one is James?" she finally asked.

Rebecca nudged her little brother forward a little, and he stumbled forward. "I am, Your Highness," he said softly.

"Do you know how to play cards, James?" Kate asked.

"Yes," the young boy replied, "I do."

"Would you like to play with me?" Kate requested eagerly, nearly falling off of the throne from the excitement.

"Yes!" James exclaimed, a subtle smile on his face.

"May we, Papa?" Kate asked. She hardly waited for an answer- a small nod from Henry- before jumping down and running to Lady Bryan with James. She looked so excited, nearly toppling over her gown as she rushed across the room.  The two children exited the room, with Lady Bryan leading them tiredly. She was now a woman of fifty-one years, and though I trusted her more than anyone to care for my children, I knew that one day she'd be gone and I'd have to appoint a new governess. I frowned at the thought as the conversation in the room continued around me, reduced to nothing more than polite chattering.

__

After some conversation with the Whitewoods, I returned to my chambers. Rebecca came as well, and she seemed to be a very cheerful and polite girl thus far. Clara, Octavia, Mary, and Isabell greeted her warmly and briefed her on her new responsibilities, as this was her first time in such a position, following her induction. Everything went well and smoothly.

I selected my favorite chair to sit in, choosing to read Utopia by Thomas More. It was a book that I'd heard minor gossip about and it seemed intriguing enough. It was published in Latin, which was a language I struggled to understand. Luckily, Thomas gladly sent me a copy of the book in English, and I was incredibly grateful.As I read, the rain thundered down on the palace loudly, incessantly falling down from the sky.  I dismissed my ladies, enjoying the silence and basking in it.

For hours, I just read. I read and read and read until my eyes ached and the words blended together and I couldn't anymore. It was quite nice, really. Not having anything to do or anywhere to be for the first time in weeks. The afternoon turned to evening, and a bout of energy overcame me. It was extremely late at night, and I knew that everyone would be asleep. I left my chambers and traveled down the halls swiftly,  nearly running in my thin gown and deep blue covering. When I reached my destination, I slipped in the dark room quietly.

"Henry... it's me," I whispered, smiling.

He rolled over, his blue eyes shining even in the dark. "Hello, Anna," he said. Henry smiled as I pulled the covers over myself, finding myself a warm and comfortable spot on the bed.