xvi. selfish, ignorant, rude

March 1, 1514

"Lady Mary Boleyn and Lady Clara Grainger."

The two girls strode forward, one confidently and the other modestly. Two curtsies followed, but they seemed almost forced. The girls were easy to differentiate, and I instantly knew who was who.

My eyes drifted to Clara first, a slender, petite girl. Her hair was a very pleasant shade of brown and her skin had a glow to it, even though it was pale. Her eyes were a translucent shade of blue, to the point where they were more grey than blue, and she dressed surprisingly simple.

Mary Boleyn had plain light brown hair and wide, warm brown eyes. She was an unconventional sort of pretty, but could be considered pretty nonetheless. Her round face and small body were accentuated by the French gown and many ornate jewels she was wearing.

After inductions and introductions, Mary and Clara finally settled in. I wanted to sit down near a window and read, but Mary was already sitting in the spot I wanted, gazing longingly outside, probably missing her family and France. I cleared my throat to signal I was there, hoping she'd move.

"Yes, Your Majesty?" she asked.

"I'd like to sit there," I announced, "I'm feeling very tired."

"But I am sitting here," she answered stubbornly, "There are plenty of other seats for you."

I scoffed. "That is my favorite reading spot, Mary. I am pregnant, tired and your queen, so you will move."

"But-" she protested.

"Move." 

 Mary reluctantly stood up, scurrying off to the side

"If you'd like to keep your position, I'd suggest staying out of trouble," I declared, "All of you. This is a coveted position, but you are all replaceable."

Mary gulped. She looked a bit afraid of me, which made me feel guilty. She was only fifteen, after all. "I apologize, Your Majesty. It won't happen again."

"Oh, and Mary?"

"Yes, Your Majesty?" she squeaked.

"We need to get you some new gowns. The ones you brought are too... French. You're in England now."

__

March 13, 1514

Elizabeth, who I hadn't seen in many weeks, finally returned to court. She gathered our family in her chambers, claiming she had important news to share.

"Um... uh..."

She couldn't seem to get the words out, though. My mother, patient and loving as always, walked over to her, and encouraged her to tell us. After a few moments of calming herself down, she finally spoke.

"I've remarried, " she blurted.

"And you told no one? You didn't ask from your sister, who is the queen of England? You didn't ask her husband, the king? You didn't ask your own parents?" My father was livid.

My mother remained calm, but stepped back a little, shocked from the announcement. Beatrice and I remained silent. I noticed the tears welling up in Elizabeth's eyes.

"Lizzie, you should have asked. You know I would've said yes," I reminded her.

A few tears raced down her face. "No, you wouldn't have. And you-" she turned to our father. Her disappointment turned to resentment. "Oh, you would've forbade it."

"Who is it?" Father asked, his face red from dissatisfaction.

"A former secretary of the king's. His name is Charles Sedley," she said, clearly nervous, "He was widowed during the outbreak of the sweat, and we met around the same time the king got sick. It happened so suddenly, but we're really in love."

"This isn't love, Elizabeth!" Father raged, "You've lowered your station for a man who you don't even know! You barely know him and you're married already! That is absurd and ridiculous."

"I married Henry when I barely knew him," I argued.  If she was truly in love, then I owed it to Elizabeth to stand up for her love. Our father may have thought he was the most powerful against her, but I was queen.

"Yes, but you were marrying a king, not some powerless secretary!"

"Thomas, she has a point," my mother gently said, "Anna is queen, and there is not much more power or money or influence we could possibly ask for. Last time we asked Lizzie to marry, she obliged even though she hated him, so this time-"

"Stay out of this, Katherine," Father snapped.

This made me upset. Even Elizabeth and Beatrice seemed shaken by his behavior.

"You will not speak to her that way," I scolded, "That is an order. Not from your daughter, but from your queen."

"I am not threatened by you, Anna," he said, "I am still your father."

"Yes, you are. But if I find out you are mistreating anyone I care about, I will see to it myself that your head is removed from your shoulders," I said.

He seemed unfazed. "Tread carefully, Anna, or it might be you losing your head."

__

"I want him gone!" I complained, bursting into Henry's chambers.

When I entered, I saw him sitting alone, reading a book. He looked up at me, puzzled, and sat the book down gently. I sat down next to him, fending off the tears that were pricking at the corners of my eyes.

"Who do you want gone?" he asked.

"My father," I replied.

"And why do you want him gone?"

"Because he's selfish, ignorant, rude..." I listed, "Do I need to go on?"

He placed a hand on my slightly swollen stomach. "Calm down, Anna. Don't stress yourself."

I took a deep breath. "Will you see to it that he is sent back to our old home?" I asked calmly.

"Yes," Henry said, smiling, "Are there any other family issues of yours I should be aware of?"

"Oh, I'd like Elizabeth and her new husband to have a little house to live in. She said she'd like to live away from court."

"Elizabeth remarried?" 

"Yes. To your former secretary, Charles Sedley," I explained.

"Charles? I thought he was married!"

"Widowed during the Sweat," I said, "She seems incredibly in love. She wants a quiet life, though. Away from the scrutiny and gossip of court. I told her I'd arrange it."

"I suppose we can find a place for her and Charles to live."

"Thank you Henry," I said, curling up beside him.

I looked out of a window. It was dark already. I was exhausted. Between my family issues, my pregnancy, and the queenly responsibilities I had, I ended each day drained and worn out. 

"Can I stay here tonight?" I asked, resting my head on Henry's shoulder.

"Of course, my love."

_______________

published august 19, 2020