A Flash of Blue

A/N: SORRY GUYS, THIS ONES REALLY SHORT AND IT'S A BORING OLD FILLER :( BUT AFTER THIS ONE THERE'S A NICE LONG CHAPPY WAITING FOR YA :) xx

__________________________________

"Mona?" Mum calls me from the kitchen.

"Yeah?" I bellow back from my attic room, where Rena and I are sitting and talking.

"Go and get some firewood from the shed, will you?" She hollers up the stairs

I huff, annoyed.

"Fine!" I shout back.

I hurry down the stairs and into the kitchen. Grabbing my cloak and tying it tightly around my shoulders, I walk quickly to the back door,

"Don't forget the basket!" my mother reminds me. I make a rapid U-turn and seize the old, handmade wicker basket and slam the door shut, hearing the latch click behind me. I pull my cloak around my shoulders, shivering. A thin layer of frost covers the long, unkept grass, and my feet make crunching sounds as they patter down the front garden. The pine trees surrounding our house are frozen, a fine dusting of white powder lying over their green needles, turning our garden into a winter wonderland. Somewhere in the trees, a bird rustles and flaps its wings. I think nothing of it, until it occurs to me that there are no birds in winter. Not this far north, where the winters are freezing, turning the lake near our house solid, and so thick that it could take the weight of a fully grown man. No, this bird is unnatural, an abomination, nothing lives during winter, not trees, not flowers, not rivers or streams or lakes, and definitely not birds. My eyes widen, as yet another, terrible, terrible thought occurs to me.

Blue Jay.

Cold fear strikes into my heart, freezing my feet to the ground, my bones locked into place. My brain is shouting to run, but my legs are not obeying it. I squeeze my eyes shut, refusing to look.

"Mona ..." Hazel says. I shut my eyes tighter. It's not her.

"Mona ... Please ..."

"No. It's not you, it's not you."

"Mona ... Help me ... Mona,"

It's an illusion, the Blue Jay is putting that voice in my head, it's not real.

"Please."

"No!"

"Please!"

"No!"

"Mona, I miss you," she whispers, and before I know it, I am saying:

"I miss you too, Hazel,"

"I must go ..."

"Wait!" I exclaim, and I have opened my eyes, staring round at the empty forest. She is not there. I curse, and desperately try and shut my eyes before I see it, before I am doomed.

It's too late. I see a flash of deep blue feathers, hear a flutter of wings. I am staring into the eyes of the Blue Jay.

__________________________________

A/N: DUN DUN DUUUNN!!! SCARY STUFF GUYS ;D HA! NEXT UPLOAD SOON ... I'M A ROLL TONIGHT, SO IT MIGHT EVEN BE UP LATER TODAY! :) FINGERS CROSSED. IF ITS NOT UP TODAY, IT'LL BE UP TOMORROW :D xx