029 | an analyst in her prime

Start from the beginning

I don't have anything on him. It unnerved her. Mizuki didn't like what she didn't know. And it appeared that she had every right once the boy stole Kindaichi's spike away from him, aiming for the back but only hitting it out because of his intense strength.

The second set began, and that player Oikawa dubbed as Mad Dog-chan absolutely astounded her. That cut shot was insane. When Seijoh performed a double quick, where two players run up to the setter, Mizuki was glad to see Hinata jumping to block the correct spiker. Even though it failed, Hinata was showing an increase in awareness.

However, as Seijoh racked up points with their new member, they lost just as many. "He's a double-edged sword," Mizuki analysed, crossing one leg over the other. "He's vulnerable to the team, his attitude problem tearing through their strategies." She leant forward, an elbow on her thigh, eyes drifting to the brown-haired setter. "But to be able to use a player like that...how marvellous."

"What do you mean?" asked Kiyoko, lowering her notebook.

Instead of answering, Mizuki's brain lit up as a plan quickly unravelled before her eyes. "Coach," she called, ripping his attention away from the game. "Can you call over Sugawara? I have an idea."

Ukai turned to her in confusion, wondering what she had up her sleeve. But, learning from before, Ukai knew to trust his analyser, so he did as she requested. The grey-haired setter came over just as he was beckoned. "Number 16 is an unknown element, his plays have forced us into a corner, but I think you've noticed it, too, right?" She turned to Sugawara, their eyes gleaming under the artificial lights of the gymnasium.

He nodded. "Hai."

They knew exactly what to do.

Sugawara switched with Tsukishima, and his serves were aimed directly to Kyotani, thus commencing their tactic. They managed to score a couple of points until Seijoh figured it out. Sugawara was switched back with Tsukishima and Seijoh backed Karasuno into a corner with Kyotani as their current weapon. They were smart, really smart.

But we have something they don't, she thought. Mizuki turned to Ukai who stood tall, hands placed on his hips. He exhaled deeply, lips stretched into a smile. "Oh, shut up already. I know."

Yamaguchi was subbed in as their pinch server. Mizuki's hands balled into tight fists, her jaw tense and her eyes focused solely on the boy with freckles.

They locked eyes.

Mizuki nodded. You got this.

Yamaguchi offered a small smile back, returning his gaze to the front. He took a deep breath in. Successfully, he pulled off a jump float serve with the ball dropping just before the line, shocking everyone in the court.

Mizuki's face exploded into a grin, and she stood from the bench in sheer excitement. She was incredibly proud of the younger male. "There is nothing more beautiful than when you prove to yourself just how strong you are."

This was the start of their counterattack.

Yamaguchi managed to pull off a second service ace before Aoba Johsai were able to receive it. She could see the tenacity in the green-haired male, the desire to serve once more fueled him immensely. With Seijoh calling a time out, Mizuki stood from the bench.

"Sayeko?"

She ignored all, stepping onto the court. Her lavender hair drifted behind her, a thousand shades of purple, making new mosaics each moment under the artificial lights; the air surrounding her demanded attention. It was no wonder she was named after the moon lilac eyes shining like orbs in the night. Her hair was deep hues of physical moonbeams against her pale face. She walked further along, coming to a stop right in front of the growing crow.