039 | merry christmas

protect her wings, but let her fly alone

THIS WAS NOT HOW MIZUKI imagined she would spend her Christmas, not this one, at least

THIS WAS NOT HOW MIZUKI imagined she would spend her Christmas, not this one, at least. Sitting back, Mizuki watched her worlds collide, making her feel relieved in a way she never thought she could feel. It was surreal to watch her soulmates talk with her aunt...even though they had briefly met ages back.

"Your food is amazing, Akira-san!" exclaimed Bokuto, mouth full of the turkey said woman prepared for them all. The table was filled with traditional western dishes, a cuisine Akira adored greatly. She worked hard during the day, awaiting the four's arrival and ready to stuff them with food.

"Oh, thank you, Bokuto-kun!" Akira grinned broadly, chewing on a mashed potato. "I wrangled with myself on what food to prepare, but I didn't know what you all liked, so I made a variety!"

"That's very kind of you, Akira-san," said Akaashi, a polite smile bedizening his face. "Thank you."

Akira practically squealed. How polite!

"It was my pleasure!"

Snow fell softly outside, coating the ground and the trees with mounds of white that sparkled and glittered from the lamps hanging around their garden. The doors were slid open, letting in the gentle, giggly breeze of winter.

"I have a question," said Bokuto, the group moving into the living room once dinner was finished (they helped Akira clean up, even though she desperately tried to stop them. Akira looked over at Mizuki but she only shrugged, as if to say that she couldn't control them).

"What is it?" Akaashi asked, hiding his exasperation.

"If an animal bites me and I die, is it poisonous?"

He sighed. He knew the owl-like boy was going to ask something as ridiculous as that.

"If you bite an animal and you die, it's poisonous. If it bites you and you die, it's venomous," Mizuki clarified for the boy, sitting with her legs crossed on the love seat, her floral mug sat snuggly in her hands.

"What if it bites me and it dies?" Bokuto questioned, pressed against Kuroo on the couch, Akaashi on his other side. Kenma sat on the ground, Kuroo's legs on either side of him. Akira sat on the singular seat by the Christmas tree, though she offered the shortest boy the seat multiple times before giving up once he stubbornly decided to sit on the floor. If Kenma truly wanted, he'd sit on one of their laps, or he would sit beside Mizuki, but he preferred to sit on the ground, knees drawn to his chest and eyes drifting across his game screen.

"Then you're poisonous."

"What if it bites itself and I die?"

"It's voodoo," Kuroo answered, snorting quietly into his cup.

"What if it bites me and someone else dies?"

"Bo, enough," muttered Kenma, already annoyed with his questions.