061.25 | bunch of simps

the chains are broken,
but is she truly free?

WAKING UP TO THE CLANG of pots and pans was not how Kuroo thought he'd rise

WAKING UP TO THE CLANG of pots and pans was not how Kuroo thought he'd rise. He expected the warmth of the sun filtering through the window on his face, the tender, honeyed kisses from his soulmates, their limbs tangled with his. He expected to hear the shower running when Koutarou returned from his morning jog, expected to hear Keiji's soft snoring beside him, expected to feel Kenma sprawled out over his body and expected to smell the delicious breakfast Mizuki was whipping up.

Today, well, tonight, seeing as the sun wasn't even out yet, he had none of that. Bokuto was still snoring, drool threatening to slip through the corner of his lips. Akaashi was curled up in his arms, head tucked under his chin. Kenma was smothered under a pile of blankets and pillows, and Mizuki was...

Kuroo sat up, eyes sweeping over their bed.

She was nowhere in sight.

Ah, so that's probably her, he thought, looking at the opened door.

A large smash had him wincing, along with the curses that followed it. Worry burgeoned him, and Kuroo carefully untangled himself from his soulmates, making sure not to wake the other three as he got out of bed. He slipped on his slippers and headed to the kitchen, rubbing the fatigue from his eyes.

The first thing Kuroo spotted was the multiple baked treats on the kitchen island and table, ranging from cookies to cakes, and he was pretty sure there was a pie in the oven. The second thing he noticed, however, was Mizuki, the lavenderette hastily cleaning up a mess on the floor, biting her bottom lip and holding back bottled up tears.

"Mizuki?"

She gasped and snapped her head towards him, bloodshot eyes staring into his.

Immediately, Tetsuro softened.

Because she had never been proven wrong, and giving up wasn't written anywhere on the lists strewn all across her mental desk, determination riddled deep within her bones, and though it was a quiet resoluteness tucked away inside a soft-spoken girl, it was a fierce force coursing through her veins.

And as a result of that, Kuroo often forgot just how sensitive his final soulmate was.

Expeditiously, he made his way around the kitchen island, kneeling down and taking her into his embrace. He wrapped his arms around her quivering body, his heart aching in his chest.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry," she sobbed repeatedly, tears finally streaming out of her glossy lilac eyes, apologies echoing throughout the messy kitchen. Kuroo grabbed her hands and coaxed out the tissues, ignoring the batter that dripped onto his fingers. He tucked her face into his neck, hearing the shuffles of feet behind them.

Having woken up with the absence of two of his soulmates, Akaashi exited the bedroom. He saw Kuroo holding a crying Mizuki in his arms, clutching his shirt as sobs racked her body, the former hushing her softly, rocking her back and forth in a soothing gesture.