Chapter 14

"Your dad is alive." I looked at Noor incredulously.

"No, he's dead. What is this some sick fucking joke to you?" I could feel my anger rising.

"Love." Noor reached out for my hand, but I brought it out of reach fast as if her touch would kill me.

"Please just listen." I shook my head vigorously.

"Nope. No way. I was at his funeral. I was there when they lowered him into the ground and buried him. I was the backbone of my family for years. My dad wouldn't just abandon us." I marched out of Noor's office and made my way towards the garden.

"Serenity, you there?" I called out to the water, hoping she could hear me. I saw little bubbles at the surface and started smiling as Serenity emerged from the water.

"Hey there. Are you okay?" Her smile faded into a concerned look, and that's when I felt a tear falling off my cheek.

"Noor and her parents say my dad is still alive. I feel like it's some sick joke. I was there when he died, when we buried him, everything. He would have never abandoned us." I plop down, sitting with my legs crossed, my elbows on top of my thighs with my hands supporting my head.

"Hmm... Noor and her parents are no liars. If this is what they say, then they speak the truth." I picked my head off my hands and looked up to the stars.

"I don't want this to be true. I would love for him to be alive again, but to know that he abandoned us is killing me." I closed my eyes and fought off fully, crying only, allowing some tears to break free. Soon I felt a warm hand encompass mine. I looked down to find Serenity's hand in mine.

"You don't know exactly what happened. Maybe he had his reasons, but that doesn't mean his reasons are acceptable." I lightly squeezed her hand back.

"I just can't believe it." Serenity hummed.

"Can't or won't?" She took a deep breath and brought her hand out of mine.

"Just because you choose not to believe this doesn't mean it's any less true. You should hear Noor and her parents out. I know that if what they tell you turns out to be true, it's going to crush everything you thought you knew, especially about your dad." I nodded at her words.

"I'll talk to them about it tomorrow. I need to try and sleep." I gave Serenity a small smile.

"Thank you." She pushed herself off the bank.

"Always." I looked at her and laughed.

"Are you quoting Snape?" Her smile grew.

"I knew there was a reason I liked you. Goodnight." I said goodnight back and made my way to leave, but stopped in my tracks.

"Also, visit more?" I looked back at Serenity.

"Of course." With that, she disappeared under the water.

I took my time walking back to my bedroom and honestly don't remember the trip back. It's crazy how my body knows where to go now. I entered my room and shut the door behind me, letting out a large exhausted exhale.

"Hey, there, love." I yelped and spun around, putting my hand over my heart to keep it in my chest.

"Damn it, Noor. Don't scare me like that." I heard her chuckle and saw her make her way towards me. My room was pitch black, but I knew where Noor was by her glowing eyes.

"I'm sorry, love." She snaked her arms around me and brought me close. I felt my whole body relax and melt into her instantaneously.

"Not just for scaring you, but for earlier. I tried to tell them you weren't ready." I brought myself out of her embrace and looked up at her glowing eyes. The glow highlighted some of her faces.