TWENTY-EIGHT - MARELLA

I woke up to Dex's voice, speaking in my ear.

   "Good morning, sunshine."

   He was already sitting on the edge of the bed, grinning at me.

   He'd definitely taken a shower, because his hair was damp, and brushed out. No matter what he did, he was still beautiful.

   For a moment, I laid still, as last my mind refreshed. I relived everything that had happened last night.

   Dex had kissed me.

   For a second, I wished he was in my arms again. I wished I could be hugging and kissing him again. Because I was in love with him, even more than before.

   But that passed, as I sat up, and remembered everything else that had happened that night. Driving. Then getting ambushed. My dream. Fintan and Vespera. I was suddenly scared.

   "How long have you been up? Has anything happened?"

   He laughed, and I realized I must have looked weird. I was sitting in bed, looking like a scared animal, with probably some irreparable bed-head.

   "Nope. Everything has been peaceful."

   The sun shone through a crack in the curtains, highlighting the room with golden light.

   "What time is it?"

   "Uh, I think around eleven o'clock. And to answer your earlier question, I've been up for a few hours."

   "You had a shower?" I asked, with a little bit of envy. Why did he get to look so good, and I a bedraggled mess? He looked a little embarrassed.

   "Um, yeah. I thought—you know—since we will be arriving to the coast today, I should look my best."

   I felt a little bit of disappointment. He hadn't done it for me. But it was just silly, because he had a reason.

   "Do I have time to do the same?" I asked him, reasoning that his idea was probably the best. If we arrived at someone's manor, looking like rats that somehow grew brains, and became humanoid, I feel like we would get less respect. So it was to the showers.

   "Yeah. If you are quick," he told me.

   "I'll be back before you know it," I replied smiling, then headed to the bathroom.

   It felt heavenly, to relax, and loosen up, standing beneath the warm water. I found the soaps, and washed myself. And after tugging on my hair for a few minutes, I managed to untangle my mat of hair.

   I came out, feeling like a new person.

   "You look great," Dex told me. "We should get going though."

   So we left, after grabbing a quick breakfast at the buffet on the ground floor. The car looked even worse in the light. Fortunately, it still ran, and I took my turn driving.

   The day seemed to fly by. It was just driving, driving, driving. Steering the metal machine. And though it was many hours later that we turned onto the dirt road, it felt like only moments before, that we had left the hotel.

   The dirt road led to a set of bright set of pearly, white gates. And that was when I knew the journey was almost done. It was typical elves, to make the gates shiny. But then my stomach sunk with dread. On the inside of the gates, grazing on the green luscious grass, was a unicorn.

   "Sterling Gables?" I asked Dex. He sighed.

   "Yeah."

   "You know, maybe we should just turn around," I joked.

   "I think seeing the Heks is worth it," he said, though his expression told a different story. He looked relieved.

   So we got out of the car, and walked up to the gates. I found the button to signal the house that we were there. About a minute later, I saw a figure, walking down the path. When they spotted who we were they began to run.

   It was Stina.

   "Dex? Marella?" she asked incredulously.

   "Hey Stina," I replied cautiously. Ever since our little falling out, she was always scowling at me, and acting rude.

   The gates swung open, and she ran out. I was surprised, as she wrapped me in a hug. I stayed stiff with shock, until I relaxed, and hugged her too.

   "I went to your Wanderling Ceremonies. I—I thought you were dead, for sure. Tell me everything. Just let's tell the others you're here. Come on. My mom is in the stables." She pulled out her Imparter, and spoke into it, and then we followed her up to the stables.

   Stina's mother—Vika Heks—looked ready to burst when she saw us, rushing us up to the huge manor.

   Timkin was waiting by the door.

   "Redek and Dizznee," he mused. "Should have seen your friends when they found you gone. They thought you were dead." He sighed. "Of course, I thought the same."

   The few minutes blurred past. We stayed at Sterling Gables. The Vackers arrived, all crying and hugging us. My parents, and Dex's, nearly suffocated me with hugs. Grady and Edaline were there, with open arms. Tam and Lihn came, both also very glad to see us alive. Glimmer also came with them. She sat quietly in the corner, keeping her hood down.

   Neither Keefe, nor Sophie were there, and I was told that Sophie was still in her room, and Keefe was still unconscious from the battle at Loanmore.

   One of the happiest moments, was when we were taken to the Healing Centre, for a check up. When we entered, the first thing I saw, was Lovise. She was in a large cot, with her eyes closed. When we came in she woke up.

   "Dex..." she looked so full of emotion, I wasn't sure what she was going to say next. Instead, she took a deep breath, and said, "I'm sorry for failing you. I'm glad to see you both well."

   We both hugged her, despite how awkward it was.

   Once we'd gotten the all clear from Elwin, we all left, headed back to Sterling Gables.

   We were given rooms and rested the night. Sleeping there, reminded me of all the sleepovers I'd had with Stina. I'd always slept in that room.

   Late into the night, there was a knock on the door. It was Dex.

   "I don't mean to be creepy, or wake you up, but couldn't get to sleep, and well, I was just thinking, we could talk for a bit." He was so adorable, dressed in his fuzzy pajamas, that I agreed. We sat on the edge of my bed.

   "I'm sorry, for coming here and all, but I just wanted to sort things out."

   I just nodded into the darkness.

   "I know that this is going to come out wrong, but there's no way to say it right, so I'll just blurt it. I love you. And I want to be with you forever."

   I almost started crying. "That wasn't wrong. It was perfect. I love you too, Dex, and I want to be with you, forever." I laughed a little bit, and cuddled into his side. He leaned down, and kissed me on the forehead, wrapping his arms around me.

   "But there are going to be problems with the relationship. There is so much going on. People are going to judge us." He squeezed me tighter. "And I don't want you to get hurt. I want this to work."

   "We'll just have to be brave. And most of all, remember, don't care what they think."

   I pulled an arm around his neck, and pulled his head down, and kissed him hard. We hugged and kissed each other passionately, until we drifted into sleep. And we were finally peaceful. Finally free.