NINE - DEX

"Marella!" My cheek was still tingling from her lips, and it took me a second to realize she was slumped on the ground. "Are you okay?"

   "Just," she took a deep breath, biting back pain. "Just stood up too fast. Sorry."

   Her face was flaming red, and I was sure mine was equally on fire.

   "Sorry, I don't know what happened." My voice is shaky, as it finally registers to me, that Marella Redek, the coolest, most interesting, and popular girl at Foxfire, just kissed me. Even if it was just on the cheek, I can barely breathe.

   She ground her teeth together, and I rushed to help her up.

   "Thanks."

   The blush was fading from her cheeks, and I grinned as I half carried her out of the cell.

   The barred door led out into the long corridor. It was so long, the end was out of sight, and it faded into the distance. We made quick progress, along the ever longer hallway. Eventually I got tired, so I let her walk on her own, with only the wall to hold onto. Finally a door emerged from the fog up ahead.

   When I reached it, I quickly stuck my fingers in the lock. My fingers hit solid metal. It was a decoy lock. Which means the door is probably a decoy. I looked back to see Marella struggling along behind me, gritting her teeth.

   "Marella, stop," I called. "It's not a real door."

   She stopped for a moment. "Are you sure?"

   "Yeah. The lock is just solid metal."

   "Let me see," she said, gripping the wall, and coming up to the door. She leaned against the wall, and traced her fingers over the lock, then grabbed the door handle, and twisted it. The door swung open.

   "What—" I spluttered. Then I realized that the lock was decoy—yes—but it was only connected to a little iron loop. Not to any part of the handle or closing mechanism. How could I not have noticed that? Was my ability being weakened by something?

   Marella hobbled into the room, and I quickly followed her. Something was wrong about this.

   Another corridor followed. We continued walking forward. Suddenly the door behind us slammed behind us, sending a resounding clang around the narrow hall. We both spun around, but that was where our mistake was. While we puzzled over the shut door, another gate slams shut.

   Marella swore. And I wondered again, how we could have been so gullible.