Interviews and Bad Attitudes

Maura's P.O.V

January/12/2010

December had come and gone and so the craziness it brought within. We spent New Year with the kids, just the four of us on a small cabin in the woods that had been in my family since I was a little girl; I've been told that my Grandfather made completely from floor to roof. It was cozy and warm. This had been one of the best holidays we had had since the kids came into our lives, the best thing of course.

We made amends with the kid about the fostering, both kids agreed on fostering a girl in between their ages, most likely 6 to 8 years old. Both Jane and I were fine with this, but both of us knew even then that we will know who that perfect match will be; we will feel it in our hearts, no matter age, race, gender, or anything. I've never believed in fate or something bigger making greater plans, but since I became a mother I understood the essence of love and how it works and affects people in some sort of way. A lot of people had questioned us about this, about how we will pick someone that fit in our family, some people had said that we are crazy, bringing a stranger around our children and family, and some others had made other various type questions on this topic. The truth is that we weren't sure how we will know; back then we just believed that we would know who the perfect match will be.

"Allô" Constance said in French through the phone.

"Hello, mother" Maura said, waiting for her mother to recognize her voice.

"Oh! Maura, Darling. What do I owe the pleasure of this call?" her mother said, surprised by the unannounced contact her daughter made with her.

"Well...Hmm... Do you have time; I need to talk to you?" She asked.

"Darling, I'm about to get to a conference, I will call you later. Au revoir, chéri" she simply said, not having any remorse in hung up the phone, not even at the nervous sound of her daughter's voice.

"... Au Revoir" she said after the older woman hung up the phone, the disappointment in her voice pretty evident and the sadness showing on her face. She put her phone on the kitchen counter and sighed deeply, rubbing her forget frustratingly.

Jane entered into the kitchen and found her wife holding her tears at bay and visibly sad, she stopped and waited a few seconds before approaching her wife; she put her hand on the blonde's lower back and started to rub softly. She looked at her with questioning eyes, hoping that her wife will initiate a talk. It didn't happen

"What's wrong, honey" Jane asked, concerned, and worry in her voice; the detective knew that she had talked to her parents, but she didn't know how it went.

The blonde sighed deeply once again "She had something to do, she'll call me later" she said on a steady, trying to keep her composure.

Jane felt some anger building inside her, she had always hated the way Constance and Arthur put their daughter aside and always had taken her for granted. The M.E. always tried to be indifferent to this situation, but the keen detective knew this hurt her, hurt her deeply and she hated to see any of her loved ones in pain. "I'm sorry, honey" the brunette just said, and hugged her, rubbing soothing circles on her back, in an attempt to give her as much comfort as possible.

I was pulled out of my thoughts by Jane's voice "Honey, we have to get in" she said, some excitement and nerves on her deep voice. I Inhale deeply standing up and intertwining my hand with Jane's. We walk and entered my family's lawyer's office.

"Hello, Maura, Jane" he said, shaking hands with both of us "Please, take a seat" he said, inviting us to take a sit. "Ok, I received your documents a few days ago and I have to say it's all in order... you're almost approved, so you just have 3 steps left. The fire inspection, physician's reference, and training classes" he said.