2

A couple hours later, a DM showed up in the absolute mess that was your Twitter DMs. You had been expecting it though, so when your phone buzzed, you picked it up right away, holding it over your head as you lounged on the couch, some generic action movie that Maddy had put on playing in the background - she sat in one of the armchairs, enraptured in the movie.

It was from Austin. 

hey! maddy told me that you were down to be in the next love or host. big thanks by the way, someone canceled last minute and we were looking for a replacement

You shot back a response. 

not a problem im happy to fill in! mind telling me who exactly im competing for tho? maddy only told me it was one of the minecraft guys

Austin's reply came in a minute later.

jschlatt. hes one of the dream smp guys. also - u choosing love or host?

Ah yes, the name of the game. You closed Twitter, opening YouTube - you would have to do some research on this part. It didn't matter too much to you if you chose love or host (you had only just heard of this guy today) but you still wanted to make an informed decision. 

A quick search revealed a plethora of videos, mostly gaming content and DreamSMP theories. You found his channel easily - it looked like he used to stream as well, and now just posted regular videos on his live channel... for some reason. What you weren't expecting, however, was the mutton chops.

You set your phone aside, bringing a hand up to scrub down your face. "Maddy."

She tore her eyes away from the TV, where a car chase was happening. You thought you saw the Rock driving. "Yeah?"

"You're really roping me in to a dating show for a guy with mutton chops?" You asked, pinning her with a look. 

A mischievous sort of smile came over her face. "So you looked him up?"

"Yeah!" You said, laughing a little. "I was expecting another wimpy looking white boy, not someone who looks like they stepped out of 1850. Who in their right mind would ever do that to their facial hair?"

Maddy snickered. "Have you watched any of his videos yet?"

"No, but I was going to." You said. "Do you mind if I play it aloud? I can always grab some earbuds or something-"

"Nah, play it out." Maddy said. "I'm looking forward to your reaction." There was something about the look on her face that you didn't like - she knew something you didn't.

"What's the face for?" You asked. "Is he weird, or something?"

Maddy just shrugged, waiting for you to start the video. You just chose his most recent - the thumbnail just showed him sitting in front of the camera, so you assumed it was just commentary about something or other. 

You hit play, and you were instantly greeted by the rather gruff quality of his voice - you weren't too surprised though, just looking at him had had you expecting something along those lines. It wasn't half bad, for just an average guy.

"Is he from New York?" You asked Maddy. "He says his vowels weird-"

"...found out that fifty percent of the population stands up when they wipe..."

You stopped mid sentence, looking back to your phone. "What the fuck."

Maddy laughed, kicking back in her armchair. "Just wait - it gets so much better."

It did, in fact, get better. After screaming about how stupid it was to stand up and wipe, he interviewed his friends for their answers. You found yourself laughing a little - it was pretty funny, watching him go absolutely ballistic about something as trivial as that - but soon enough the video ended, leaving you and Maddy just looking at each other. 

"So." She said. "That's Schlatt."

"Host." You said. 

Maddy laughed. "Yeah, me too."

You closed YouTube, finding your way back to Twitter to shoot Austin your answer to his question. There was no question in your mind - you hadn't wavered over love for even a second. Even if you ended up winning, that was not the sort of guy you wanted to spend another three hour stream with - no offense to him of course. 

You tapped out your reply to Austin. 

def host

"It's not like either of us is going to win anyway." Maddy said as you sent the message off into space. "Minx is going to be there, and they already have a thing anyway."

"Good ol' Minx." You said, grinning. "Must be nice to be a fan favorite. Anybody else we know going to be there?"

"Ivy, I think." Maddy said. "I'm not sure yet though."

You nodded, stretching out on the couch into a more comfortable position. "That's nice. I just raided her today."

You didn't feel too bad about choosing host - you didn't know the guy personally, there was a 95% chance that Minx was going to win, Maddy had also hosted him... it would just be a matter of how long you lasted during the stream then. Plus, how many people actually took these things seriously? It was all about publicity, and the more drama the better.

Austin's reply was a simple thumbs up, and link to the discord you would be using for the event. You thanked him again, and then set your phone down, turning your attention back to the movie on TV, watching as the Rock jumped out of a window, only to have it explode behind him.

"So do you stand up to wipe?"

Maddy's question caught you off guard, and you burst out laughing, throwing one of the decorative pillows on the couch at her playfully. "I'm not answering that."

Maddy batted the pillow away, getting up from her seat and dropping it back on the couch as she walked to the kitchen. "I'm going to heat up that leftover Chinese. Want anything?"

"Nah, I'm okay." You said. "I'll just make a sandwich or something later." 

You heard the microwave turn on in the kitchen, and you picked your phone back up, opening Twitter again to follow Schlatt - it was just the courteous thing to do after all. You would be competing for his attention in a few days time, and it would make up for the fact that you had hosted him, even if you knew you weren't going to make it to the end.