Chapter 3: Enter the Ring-Bearer

After the call from the Navigator, a plethora of crew members that were stationed below deck quickly clutter the surface of the ship, preparing to dock on the lush, overgrown island appearing in the distance. These spry Marines madly dash left and right to get to their assigned stations, narrowly running straight into each other at times. The amount of hectic activity on the main deck would be disorienting to a new recruit, but these Marines were well-versed in coaxing the ship to bend to their will. Standing like a grandiose statue at the point of the ship's bow was the conductor of this disciplined orchestra, Commander Marina. 

The Marines stared intently, waiting on her instruction. The Commander lines up the ship with the edge of the island and starts to make subtle gestures using her hands that the crew knows to be specific actions that would adjust the ship in the desired direction. Captain Bluff placed himself in the middle of the deck, loudly relaying the commands that were being portrayed by the Commander as well as enthusiastically encouraging the Marines.

"COME ON MEN, USE THAT YOUTHFUL ENERGY TO GIVE ONE-HUNDRED AND TEN PERCENT!!" Captain Bluff bellows out atop the sound of crashing seawater and blustering tailwinds.

Without skipping a beat, all the Marines reply with an especially lively, "AYE SIR!!", causing the Captain to erupt with laughter, dawning his trademark, over-the-top smile. Daifugō smirks at the energetic attitudes of the Marines as he takes station underneath one the towering masts of the vessel, attempting to aid the chore boys in controlling the sails in the heavy winds. As he begins to grip a length of thick rope attached to the sails in his hands, Daifugō could see Hartford frantically going from station to station doing his best to also uplift his fellow Marines. He would go to one group, yell something incoherently, and then sporadically sprint to the next group. After a brief moment, Hartford eventually makes his way around to Daifugō and the chore boys with arms above his head as he wildly gasps for air.

"K-KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK GUYS... Damn, one second... I'm out of... out of breath... YOU GUYS ARE DOING GREAT...!" Hartford fumbles out exhaustingly.

Daifugō laughs at Hartford's flustered state, causing his grip on the rope to slack for a split-second. He quickly reinforces the rope around his hand and sarcastically says to Hartford in a dramatic tone, "I suuuure do feel my energy skyrocketing! Thank you so so so very much Petty Officer Hartford for these words of encouragement!"

Hartford catches his breath and onerously frowns at his friend's snide remark.

"Oh, shut up, Fugō! You wouldn't think it, but being a leader is exhausting as hell!" Hartford counters.

Daifugō scoffs, looks over at the chore boys, looks at the heavy rope he's been holding taut for the duration of their conversation, looks back at Hartford with a sigh, then says, "You know Hartford, you don't have to run around like a maniac trying to encourage everyone at once, just give your energy to those who need it, ya dolt!"

Hartford goes to retaliate, but then stops to rub his hand under his chin, thinking about Daifugō's advice. Hartford smiles, then goes back into his previous sprint to the next station while wagging a finger back at Daifugō.

"Fugō, I think you might be on to something, but when do I ever listen to you, hah!" Hartford says to Daifugō playfully.

Daifugō rolls his eyes at Hartford's incorrigible behavior and switches his focus to the rest of the Marines working diligently on deck.

"Everyone is working so hard! They're clearly psyched up to be on solid ground again, I can't even remember how long we've been set sail for without reaching land... I wonder if there's any good places to eat on Gēmu Island. I'm so tired of eating Marine Galley food..." Daifugō remarks to himself, his stomach growling at the thought of good food.