10

Cleaning was so much easier when no one was home. You were sure anyone else could agree. That's why you sent your grandfather and your little brother away to spend the day together. It didn't matter what they did as long as it was some bonding time between the two, you argued with your grandfather before they left. He was insisting you should join them since you haven't had time to relax lately. You argued that you wouldn't be able to relax in a messy home. That seemed to finally convinced him as he grunted and tapped his cane before he left.

You stretched your limbs as some joints popped. You managed to sweep every part of the ground and now, you were preparing to polish the floors accordingly.

"Hey, princess!"

"Wah—!" The noises of a bucket clanging against the ground and water splashing out. You cursed under your breath as you composed yourself and quickly grabbed towels before the wood floor was damaged. "Geez," you huffed, "don't scare me like that."

Instead of looking guilty, Jack chuckled, "Sorry," he laughed, "I didn't think you would be jumpy."

You sighed, finally finished with the clean up. You just hoped it didn't cause damage for the future. You looked up from the ground towards his brilliant eyes and scowled, "What are you doing here? I told you not to come in this house. Do you not remember last time?"

"Yeah, but," he shrugged, "Your grandfather's not here, so I thought we could have some fun." His smile never left his face, not even when you were lecturing him. Strange how he just showed up out of the blue when it's been over a week since you last saw him. The last time Jack visited was when he was sent flying from your grandfather's spiritual conscious. You gazed into his blue eyes, almost glaring from the intensity. He seemed to get more nervous as you stared slightly at him. He uttered, "Why are you looking at me like that?"

You raised an eyebrow and your gaze turned suspicious towards him. "Have you been watching me?" you inquired.

"No," he said almost immediately.

The edges of your lips curled up a little as his went slightly down. You challenged, "How did you know he was gone, then?"

"Lucky guess?" Jack excused. He shrugged and rubbed the back of his neck all the while smiling sheepishly. His eyes shifted away from yours and looked anywhere but at you.

You giggled quietly before speaking, "Well, you're really bad at it because you would have known that it's cleaning day, so I can't do anything else even if I wanted to."

"You're no fun," he chuckled again, "How about I make your chores more enjoyable?"

You scoffed, "Knowing you, I wouldn't get anything done. Why don't you play with Jamie and Sophie?" You began scrubbing the floors with your mob. To stay out of your way, he sat on the counter of the kitchen. You could feel his eyes follow you and your movements.

"Nah," he shrugged, "they went to go see their grandmother with their mom."

"Their grandmother must be feeling better nowadays since she's allowed to get visitors," you commented while smiling slightly. Before you know it, you finished the kitchen area and was about to move on until you looked up to the counter he was still sitting on silently. "What?" you asked uneasy from his unnaturally quiet state.

"Are you usually alone?" he asked bluntly.

You hummed, "Ben and Grandfather usually keep me company. Jamie, and the others are a handful too, but I guess you can say I like to be secluded." You spoke as if it didn't bother you; a brush off your shoulder.

And that seemed to bother Jack more as he persisted, "But doesn't that bother you? Don't you get lonely?"

You thought about your answer carefully, "I guess you can say that I do every once in a while. Of course, with some spirits that do bother me, I'm technically never alone, but maybe that's why I like it. When I'm all by myself, I feel as though I'm recharging from the energy I gave to interact with anyone."

Jack fell silent to your words and you grew concerned as he was usually a talkative guy. When you glanced up to his face, his brilliant eyes followed your movements and held your gaze. You didn't know how to read them or what he was emitting.

Usually, you are able to feel what a spirit orienting from the training your grandfather gave you along with some others, but the feeling was unfamiliar. Then again, Jack wasn't like other spirits from what you know. When spirits are around you, subconsciously or consciously they would take energy from you or other living beings. Not that it necessarily was a bad thing, it's what they need to stay manifested, but it can sometimes get out of hand. That's why you found it strange whenever Jack would come around; you didn't feel like your energy was being taken away or drained like when a normal spirit was around. Maybe that's why you were okay with Jack being around, you thought to yourself, because when he's around you, he wants to be around you and not want something.

Not realizing the whole time you were thinking, you were still gazing at Jack. "Hey Jack," you softly called.

"Yeah?" his attention was solely on you and his response was as equally soft. The response made your heart quicken and you suddenly became aware and conscious of his blue orbs on you. You tried to shove down the heat that were reaching your cheeks.

"Can you get off? I need clean the counters as well."

Word Count: 955

Status: UNEDITED