3

White walls were built on opposite sides of the yard as two teams were split evenly, that's if you weren't counting the unfamiliar figure with white hair. Currently, Jamie, Sophie, Claude, and you were just putting the final touches on the wall to protect the team.

When the work was done, you called over, "Are you guys ready over there?"

Cries of protest answered your call, "No fair! You have [Name] and Jack on your team!"

"Jack," you repeated questionably.

"Oh," Jamie said, "that is kinda unfair." You were surprised to see Jamie and the albino exchange a few words. Afterwords, Jamie turned to you, "We should give them a few minutes."

You nodded then asked him, "Jamie, who's Jack?"

"Huh," he said surprised, "oh, no one, really!"

You rose an eyebrow out of concern. Jamie was always honest with you when it came to any questioning, so for him to try to brush it off was rather surprising. Jamie was an intelligent child, so he must have lied for a reason. "This person wouldn't happen to be a troublemaker, would he?" you asked.

"What, no!" he exclaimed, "well, not really, he just likes to play around a lot."

You hummed hearing Jamie slip. You were afraid this "Jack" was going to cause more trouble for Jamie than you realized. You were sure to do something about it later, you thought.

White, cold powder splatted the back of Jamie's head, and for a split second, you saw blue sparkles glittered Jamie's eyes. You were going to call out in concern until Jamie started giggling.

"Alright," Jamie declared and turning around to face his opponents, "you guys wanted to get a head start, huh?"

That declaration started an all out fight with snowballs being thrown in the air, most of which were missed, but all the ones that were thrown by the albino, every shot hit its target. You were the last one to be hit by him. When you did get hit, you hit him back when he wasn't paying attention to you.

The snowball war soon ended when the sun was setting. Jamie's friends' mothers picked up their children one by one; thanking you as they left for watching over them and playing with them. Soon enough, it was just you, Sophie, Jamie, and the albino. Jamie insisted playing more for a few more minutes that you couldn't decline to. Snow forts were abandoned as they lay in ruins, so Jamie used trees as cover.

Sophie got a little excited and threw one right over Jamie's head and hit a tree branch instead. The tree branch was still full from snow from the previous days of snow storms, so when the branch was hit, the snow that was bigger than Jamie's body started falling. Luckily, you managed to get there in time and cover him with your body as you waited for the heavy snow to make contact with you. Your eyes were closed tightly and held Jamie close to you as you felt a strong wind pick up. You opened your eyes after a while from not feeling any impact. Some snow landed on you but the pile was blown away to the side.

You heard a exhale sigh come from above you. Unconsciously, you looked up from where the sigh came from and saw the older boy with snow white hair perched on a distant branch. Accidentally, you made eye contact with him and he seemed just as surprised as you were. You saw how blue his eyes were; they were unreal!

"[Name]?" Jamie's muffled voice came from your arms, making you release him from your grasp, "what happened?"

You answered, "Some snow was going to fall on you, so I ran over here to cover you. By the time I did, there was a strong wind that blew the snow away before it hit us. I was trying to see why there was wind, but didn't find anything."

Jamie didn't seem happy with your explanation, and you can't seem to understand why. You thought your reasoning was understandable but it was like he wanted you to see something. It also got quiet from up above where you were looking at. The only thing that broke the silence was Sophie's hysterical sobs. Both, you and Jamie jolted towards the little girl to comfort her.

She sobbed, "I'm sorry, Jamie, Sis!"

"It's okay, Sophie," Jamie comforts her.

"We're okay, Sophie," you joined, "how about we head inside and I'll make us some soup and grilled cheese?"

Sophie slowed her crying, "Yes, please."

You smiled gently and rubbed away any remaining tears. She looked like she wanted to curl into a ball and continue to cry, but you didn't allow her to as you picked her off the ground and began walking inside with Jamie a step behind you. When you got inside, you saw Jamie linger at the doorstep as he waved towards the outside.

You were pulling off of Sophie's jacket when you called to him, "Jamie, can you get the cans of tomato soup while I get your sister settled?" It's true while Sophie wasn't crying anymore, she looked exhausted and needed a little rest before eating.

Jamie went to fetch the cans of soup as you set up the kitchen. He came back with the tomato soup as you got the bread and cheese. Despite it being easy, this was one of Jamie's and Sophie's favorite dishes. You didn't make it often and would only make the meal during cold days like this. Sophie soon woke up and wandered in the kitchen with the smell of food drifting the home, and she cheered up soon after receiving her meal. You watched as they ate their food quietly but happily.

Soon after, it was time for bed and you tucked them into bed after reading them some stories. Once they were asleep and the house was quiet, you opened your textbooks and began continuing your homework from earlier. Unfortunately, you couldn't concentrate because of an irritating feeling in the back of your mind.

"Alright," you concluded, "I know you're there. Come out already."

Word Count: 1027

Status: UNEDITED