4

Usually, Jack likes a sorta free-for-all snowball fight, but he wasn't complaining if everyone was still having fun. Out of habit, Jack followed Jamie's side. He didn't realized how unfair it might seemed with two older kids on one side until the others were complaining. Jamie told him to go on the other side's team, so Jack flew over there as he saw [Name] converse with Jamie. The others greeted him in excitement. After a few minutes of touching up the forts, Jack whispered to the others, "Watch this." His hand gather some snow from the ground, and he blew into it, making it shimmer with his familiar blue color. He threw the snowball, aiming at Jamie. He hit his target, and he knew his magic worked from the grin on Jamie's face.

That started a war between two sides until one gave up. Of course, because he's Jack Frost, everyone was hit from every ball he threw. [Name] was the last to go, and he even enjoyed the smile and laugh that came from her afterwards. He wasn't expecting to be hit from her as he fell back from the impact of being totally annihilated in the face when he wasn't looking. That girl had an arm on her. When he looked at her, she seemed indifferent like she didn't just nail someone in the face, so he thought it was just a coincidence and brushed it off.

The amount of children started diminishing when one by one they were picked up by their parents while thanking [Name] on the way. Eventually, it became only the four of them: Jamie, Sophie, her, and himself. Jamie insisted on playing more, and Jack knew it was because Jamie wanted him to stick around for a little bit longer. Jack wasn't opposed—he had all the time in the world—but decided to linger in the trees, so he could treasure this moment just a little bit more. He wasn't able to enjoy his time as a Guardian like he did now, so he took advantage of it.

Jamie decided to hide behind  the trees since the forts were abandoned. He went behind the same tree Jack was perched upon in the branches. He was watching the scene before him of Jamie and Sophie playing. Sophie got a little carried away and threw a snowball inaccurately. The ball made little impact with the snow piled on a nearby branch, but it was enough to tip the balance. The heavy snow began to fall right above Jamie, but [Name] covered his body with her own.

"Jamie—!"

Immediately, Jack jumped into action. As he waved his staff, it glowed the usual color but brighter. He felt the wind pick up like he planned and a blast of frost came from his staff, knocking the heavy snow away. He didn't realize he was holding his breath (or as breathing went when you're dead) until his staff dulled to looking like a normal, broken branch again. He felt his body relax, but stayed in the position of the aftermath.

The little amount of snow that managed to fall on top of the older girl's head tipped over from when she lifted her head and her eyes went almost straight to his. He had his doubts before, but Jack was sure she saw him with the way they both locked eyes and both were wide with surprise. He stood straighter, but he couldn't relax under her gaze.

There was a muffle sound coming from her body, and [Name] released Jamie when she realized she was still holding the boy. Jamie questioned, "What happened?"

[Name] didn't seem natural when she answered him, "Some snow was going to fall on you, so I ran over here to cover you. By the time I did, there was a strong wind that blew the snow away before it hit us. I was trying to see why there was wind, but didn't find anything." Her hand rubbed the back of her neck as she seemed to be unsure of the answer herself. She was avoiding to look in Jack's general direction; he was sure of that.

Jamie believed her, but he was disappointed with the answer he received. Jack stayed silent, trying to comprehend what just happened. Those thoughts were interrupted when Sophie started wailing with sobs. Jack watched the exchange of the little crying girl apologizing with tears and snot dripping from her face, and Jamie and [Name] comforting her. The older girl pulled out some tissue to clean the mess on Sophie's face. After cleaning her a bit more, she picked up to small blonde with mention of dinner on the way to the porch and Jamie trailing behind.

Jack landed on the ground with lightness to his step as Jamie lingered at the door to wave him goodbye. Jack waved back before flying off to the lake where his tale originated with the help of the wind.

His seemingly light body landed on a branch of a nearby tree. He took a seat with one of his legs propped up and the other dangling lazily off. His back and shoulders rest against the body of the tree with the base of the twine of his staff resting on his propped leg. His thoughts wondered to a color of [eye color]. Her eyes had a fire in them that stared straight into his soul. It was something unsettling. The way her eyes looked at him and her energy shook his very core, despite her shocked appearance. The energy she gave off made him want to hide, but he stayed because her seeing him made his curiosity come out. It's starting to get easier with more and more children being able to see him, but no young adult was supposed to see him.

He decided to take one last look before leaving town to do his work around the world. He flew back to Jamie's home, hoping to see the girl one last time through the window panes. He saw something heartwarming with Jamie, Sophie, and [Name] eating at the table with warm soup and sticky grilled cheese. These were one of the things he missed when he was alive. Having a family to come back to and a warm home-cooked meal waiting for him were just a few of the things he could list that he missed when he recovered his memory, but the good deeds he did for the children of the world and as a Guardian filled an empty void in his heart to an extent.

Soon after dinner, drowsiness hit the younglings especially after story time. Jamie and Sophie curled into bed and went to sleep immediately. It was amazing how [Name] is able to handle children so well when she was young herself, not even an adult yet. Jack wondered how she wasn't tired yet when she opened the textbook to what he guesses to be her homework. She spent some time reading but not much progress when it looks like she hasn't moved from where she started. She didn't turn any pages nor wrote down any notes on her blank paper to the side. After some time, Jack heard her sigh out of frustration.

"Alright," she said out loud, "I know you're there. Come out already."

The window was opened ajar, so he pressed his fingertips on the clear glass to push open the window from the outside. He slid inside delicately and easily. His feet landed on the floor with his staff standing next to him. One hand steadily supported his staff and the other was shoved into his sweater pocket. His body faced where she sat at the desk and his face lifted to look in her eyes again for the second time that day.

"So, you can see me," he responded and spoke to her for the first time.

It was strangely satisfying to see her interacting with him finally. It must have been torture Jack is just now realizing he went through. It was a game he felt like he won at, but he didn't grin like someone who just won. He kept his lips in check and didn't go any further from a smirk. It soon lower when that same menacing feeling came back. Her head turned towards his direction and her eyes followed. Her eyes didn't reflect the same shock they went through before when making eye contact. Her eyes and her aura showed something threatening.

"Yes," she confirmed, "I can see you."

Word Count: 1427

Status: UNEDITED