Chapter One

Hi guys. This is the first book I've ever written on here so bare with me. I will update as I finish each Chapter and I will go as fast as I can. I have a full time job so I will do my best. Thanks.

(Gabriella's POV)

Dear Diary,                                                                                                       1887

Thank goodness Auntie sent me this. I have no one to talk to at this dreadful school of arts. She sent me here two years ago to further my education and to take my mind off the fire that killed my entire family. Even she barely answers my letters. As a doctor, she claims to be far too busy. Being sent to a school in the States, I am not able to visit her either. I got a letter from her a couple days ago that this weekend I may finally return home because Ceil is in fact alive so I can move back home. What upsets me is that he has been home for a little less than two years, not too long after I came to this school and my Aunt Madame Red stopped answering my letters. I am so excited I finally get to return home and I thank God that my brother is alive, though I haven't prayed since the incident that ruined my family.

When I was hospitalized and in a coma I was unable to voice my hatred, and even still I cannot. I tried to pray that someone, even just Ceil survived. I love that boy more than life itself. I would die to protect my brother. Even still, the hatred for whoever is responsible for my families destruction still runs as deep as it did the day I woke up and was told no one but me survived. That's why Auntie sent me here. To help relieve the pain. It never did. The space made it worse.

Anyway, I will be happy to return home. To return to my family. To my dear brother.

The weekend came slowly and the boat ride there took even longer. When I finally reached the manor, I was in shock. It looked exactly as it did before the fire. It made me a little light headed and the couch man behind me had to help me keep my balance. The manor doors opened to a tall man dressed in black. He had black hair that blew in the wind and auburn eyes that could peer into your soul. My heart skipped a beat. He gave me a devilish smile with a light bow.

"Lady Phantomhive, welcome home. Please, allow me to assist you into the manor. The young master Earl of Phantomhive is awaiting your arrival." I smiled back at him and nodded my head in approval. I couldn't wait to see my dear brother, but I kept my composure as Lady of this manor now. I walked into the manor to Ceil waiting on top of the stair case. I stood frozen at the door as the butler collected my things and paid the couch man. When he closed the door I was still holding my breath. I bowed my head, not able to find the words to speak. How could he forgive me for abandoning him like I did?

 All of a sudden, Ceil ran down the staircase and flew into my arms. He held me tight around my waist as I just stood there for a moment. When he released me, I could finally move. I dropped down and engulfed him in a tight hug as tears surfaced.

 "Ceil! I have missed you more than anything my dear brother. I am so sorry. I had no idea you were alive. Madame Red sent me to school in the States and barely answered my letters. I was so torn after the fire. After mom and dad. Most of all, I thought you were gone. Could you ever forgive me?" I pulled back and looked into his eyes, though one was covered by an eye patch. Tears threatened to come but he held his composure well.

 "I have nothing to forgive Gabriella. You did nothing wrong. I am just so glad you are okay and most important, that you are home. Welcome back dear sister." He hugged me tight again and I just didn't want to let go. When we gathered ourselves and stood, Ceil decided it would be good idea to play chess in the parlor while the butler took care of my things. He had gotten so good at the game over the years. So much has changed in the past two years, it would take time to get use to home again.

 "So how did you like the States?" Ceil asked during our break.

 "Dreadful. I wish to never go back. I want to stay here with you if that is okay." I batted my eyes at my brother. I needed the permission from the head of the house hold and my younger brother, though only twelve years of age, was the one.

 "Of course, dear sister. Not even a question. Until you marry, you are more than welcome." The butler entered the room to serve us our afternoon tea and strawberry sort cake to go with it.

 "Oh please Ceil, marriage will be a bit. Though, if I may, what is your new butlers name. I have never seen him before."

 "That's just Sabastian. I hired him for most of the help. He has been with me since the fire." I giggled a little at the name, the same name as our old dog.

 "Well then, I am in your debt." I stood before the butler and curtsied. "Thank you very much for caring for my young brother." His surprise turned to a smile and bow.

 "It was nothing my lady. I am simply one hell of a butler." I smiled at him and continued catching up with my young brother on how things went around here now. I had much to learn as the lady of this house and in one night, I was surprised by how much has changed.

 As I laid in bed that night, I thought about Ceil and what must have happened to him while I was in my coma and then at school. I didn't know what to imagine. Finally, as I drifted off to sleep, I thought about auburn eyes.

Sabastian's POV

 As I got the young master ready for bed, I noticed he was deep in thought.

"Anything you would like to let off your chest young master?"

 "Gabriella looks well, but I notice something very different about her. She use to be so free spirited, so happy. She use to sing and dance and just let go. Now her smile looks as if she is hiding behind a mask." I could see worry in his soul.

 "Perhaps we could do something to change that. Perhaps a day out in the sun young master?"

 "Perhaps. I just want to sleep." He laid in his bed and started to slip quickly. "Good night Sabastian." I smiled. He never bid me good night before. Perhaps this young lady was lightening his own heart.

 "Good night my lord." I bowed and slipped out of the room silently. My mind went through the day. Gabriella really did bring out the child in my young lord. It was nice to see that in him. Since I have known him, he has acted as the head as the Phantomhive family. He was much more mature for his young age. The Earl to Phantomhive, The Queens Guard Dog. The names of a man but for a young boy. She brought light into him even though the light in herself was dim.

 Thinking about her opened something in me as well. Something I was very unfamiliar with. Something I couldn't explain. I tried to shove it off through the night, but it kept coming back. I was unable to shrug her off. What was this young and beautiful mistress doing to me? I creeped into the young lady's room as she slept to check on her. She was so peaceful. I could barely take my eyes off of her. She was so hypnotizing. Her brown hair curved her face perfectly as she slept. Her deep brown eyes could enchant anyone in there path. She was a true form of beauty. I backed into the darkness as she stired in her sleep. I heard her mutter a name in her sleep.

 "Ceil." She rolled over. I misjudged her before. I couldn't imagine why someone would leave there brother after such an experience, but now I understood. She wasn't given a choice. This beautiful, sweet, innocent woman had everything ripped away from her and I couldn't imagine what she was put through.