Chapter Five

Gabriella's POV 

I was worried about my brother, especially after he saw the newspaper this morning. I was also worried about the way Sebastian was looking at him, like he was waiting for Ceil to figure it out. I had a feeling Sebastian already knew who was behind this and he wasn't going to let us know, like he was watching a play out that he already knew the ending to. That annoyed me and I was just waiting for the next move like a good little girl. I knew I had to play my part in all of this, but the wait was killing me. I wanted to wrap this up and go home.   

Ceil decided to play a game of chess with Madame Red before our next move was made. She was talking about our lives before the fire. How happy we were back then compared to now. I hated the thought of it all. The thought of our past and how we use to be normal. We weren't normal. I don't think we ever were. We were just naïve back then.  

"We were children back then Auntie. It isn't like it is now. We weren't abandoned then. We didn't go through hell and back by bad thoughts, kidnappers, and lies." I shook my head and looked in her eyes. "Even you abandoned me when I went to that school you sent me to. You let me believe for three years that my brother was dead. You never told me he was back until I bugged you all I could for some kind of news. Then I had to find my way back here to him." Tears formed in her eyes as I let out the truth in front of her. "You forgot about me in all your work and distractions. I was alone..." I trailed off as I got up to stand by my brother. 

"There had to be another path for you guys. A normal life besides working in the underworld for the Queen." She stood up and put one hand on Ceil's head and another on my shoulder as I stood beside him. I shrugged her hand off and walked away to the window. It was Ceil's turn to deal with her. I watched the rain start to poor and the drops slide down the window. 

"I will not be spoiled. This is my choice." I heard him say as I started to zone out and watched out the window as the rain got more severe. I saw Sebastian smirk out of the corner of my eye as I was thinking about our past. Ceil and I really did use to be happy. The entire mansion was filled with smiles. Our parents were the perfect couple, Ceil got betrothed to Elizabeth and they were so happy about being 'friends forever' because they didn't know what betrothed ment at the time, I was one for dancing on my own accord in the ballroom when we weren't using it for a party while singing to myself. Ceil, Elizabeth, and I would run around the yard and play together as our parents talking buisness, or the times that they would play with us all. Our lives were completely different than they are now. I found myself walking around the manor alone as Sebastian led out Madame Red. As I walked into the ballroom, I started to remember how Ceil and Elizabeth would beg to see me dance to my own toon. I guess I was the family ballerina. I took my heels off and headed to the middle of the floor. Then, I just let go.  

I twirled, jumped, and just let my body free itself for once in a very long time. A song came to my mind as I just let them out.  

"I often wonder about the life that's been lived for so long.  

The life that has become one I barely recognize.  

How can this be? Where is the me I use to know?  

I know. I know what is true.  

I know that I have missed you all this time as I have wondered what was our crime.  

What made our lives like this? What made us this mess? Where will it end, my dear? 

I know. I know what is the clue. And I know it's me and you against this world.  

This place so full of hate and love.  

Where is the end? Where do we begin? And when will we be free? Where is the you and me?