Chapter 46

Celine somehow recovered from the incident. She spent the next few days in her chambers and  sometimes breathed in fresh air from the remote garden with the help of Zayden. Throughout her journey to recovery, the Second Prince was her caretaker and mended her wounds. Meanwhile, Hala brought her meals and books, accompanying her whenever Celine was bored.

She felt slightly awkward for surviving, especially since she had confessed her past life to Prince Zayden. She convinced herself that Prince Zayden probably thought she was spouting nonsense. When he never brought that topic up, she wondered if that exchange was only a hazy dream. 

The days were peaceful, and she spent long walks with the Second Prince. It reminded her of the days where she spent quality time with him when they were younger. Celine had also rekindled her friendship with Hala, and Yasna frequently paid a visit despite her growing belly.

One day, when Celine decided to take a walk by herself, she witnessed a dreadful event. The day was already ominous, for the air around her was too. . . quiet. Rumors of the Emperor's sudden illness had reached her ears, and she wondered how his sons felt. 

She spotted the Second Prince, and wanted to scare him as he walked towards the place where she stood. Celine hid behind a pillar, anticipating his arrival. However, Zavia appeared from the shadows, approaching the Second Prince with a confident, determined smile. 

Celine could objectively see how Zavia was a rather, earthly beauty. Her unruly curls complimented her brown skin, and she seemed to hold certain, soft features that marked her as a wise, gentle woman. Zavia's round eyes resembled a puppy, while Celine's fox eyes resembled a cat's.

Still, noble women were rigorously trained to be the epitome of elegance until the graceful movements was second nature to them. However, Zavia was still receiving her lessons, and one could see the lack of poise in her posture.

How did Zayden ever fall in love with that mess?

She hid behind a pillar as Zavia deliberately fell near the Second Prince and grasped onto his tunic. Zayden frowned and slapped her hands away before continuing to walk onwards.

Celine held in her laugh.

However, Zavia continued to cling on to the hem of his long dress.

"I-"

"You dare insult the Second Prince? Let go." He yanked her away and Zavia fell to the marble floor.

"Wait!" She yelled frantically.

Prince Zayden finally met her brown eyes and froze. Celine frowned as Zavia slowly curled her lips upward.

What's happening? Reject her again! Do what you usually do!

In Zayden's perspective, he froze at the sight of Zavia's pupils, which seemed to possess an ominous glow in them. A chill ran down his spine. His body instinctively wanted to run away from this troublesome woman. Even Red stirred in his shadows with alertness.

He quickly recovered and looked away towards the garden, where Celine should be. It was Zavia's turn to frown.

Zavia then whispered so quietly that Celine was not able to hear the words. Whatever she had uttered infuriated Zayden, for he grasped Zavia's neck.

"I can not be so easily fooled like your prince. Your tricks will never work on me. " He tightened his grip, and squeezed. Despite his violent action, he moved effortlessly. He looked almost bored as he pushed her into the air as if she was weightless.

Zavia's eyes widened in shock, her mouth hanging open as she struggled to breathe.

Even Celine's mouth turned into an O-shape. His sudden show of strength shocked her.

Celine immediately ran towards the scene and pulled them apart.

"Zayden, release her! What are you doing to your brother's concubine!" She yelled.

Zayden was still angered, glaring at Zavia with a murderous intent.

"Harming her is not worth whatever she said to you! Let go." Celine hissed, looking around to see if there were any witnessed. She relaxed as she realized this was a remote corner, where only servants and guards had access to. Nobles were not allowed to visit this area unless they were given special permission.

He finally released her to the floor, where Celine could finally yank his arm away. Zavia fell into a coughing fit, while Zayden stared into Celine's eyes. His pupils showed a flicker of emotion, and he fixed his gaze towards the delicate hands clasping his wrists.

"Go cool off. I'll handle this." Celine finally said. She was glad Zayden didn't fall for her, which would've led to a terrible ending. However, the Second Prince strangling the Crown Prince's concubine would also not end well.

"But-"

"Just go." Celine cut him off with a cold glare. "Wait for me at the pavilion."

Zayden finally walked away, his face tangled in different emotions. He obeyed her due to his guilty conscience. When his figure became smaller, Celine finally faced Zavia.

"How is this possible... how was he able to resist me." Zavia breathed. She was dazed, not even paying attention to Celine.

Celine was disgusted by her words and wanted to scorn her. " Are you not content with the Crown Prince? How dare a lowly concubine seduce his little brother? The Second Prince is not an object. He's not someone you can easily seduce."

Zavia sneered, rolling her eyes in annoyance. "Why can't I have both?" She lifted herself, and leaned into Celine, lowering her voice. "Isn't that what you're doing? Don't be so hypocritical, Lady Caelina."

She fell back down again, as if she was pushed. Before Celine could react, the Crown Prince happened to witness the exchange.

Celine wanted to laugh as she realized what the situation would be misunderstood for; a brawl between the Crown Prince's jealous fiancee and the favored concubine.

"Arrest Sir Viliga's daughter for laying a finger on my woman!" His voice thundered throughout the hall. Servants who happened to walk by quickened their pace, and the sound of shuffling feet filled the tense air.

Guards quickly flanked to her side and ceased her arms. Celine flinched as the wound in her stomach was not completely healed. She was still sensitive to touch.

"I did no such thing, your highness. Let's all take a step back and-"

Celine was not able to finish her sentence, for Prince Laith slapped her cheek.

He motioned for the guards to take her away. "Escort her to her room and don't let anyone in."

Celine could only stare at the Crown Prince. She could barely feel the sting on her cheeks or the blood trickling down her nose, for the anger and frustration for being wrongly accused consumed her. Her left eye twitched as Zavia broke into pitiful tears, leaning into the Crown Prince for comfort.

"아 씨발 내가 뭘하는지 뭘라서 받는줄아나, 병신씨발새끼." (Not going to translate this hehe. Just know that she was cursing him out in Korean.)

The guards glanced at one another as they dragged Celine away, who continued to curse in an unrecognizable foreign language. If they understood her words, she would certainly be killed on the spot for treason, which gave her a small sense of victory.