Chapter 17

Celine was going to turn 16 in a couple of weeks. When she reached this tender age, she would be considered an adult within the Zionitte society. It was strange to think how fast time had passed. The war with Krastia had finally ended with the Zionitte's victory. The Crown Prince and his soldiers were currently marching throughout the empire to display their win before returning to the capital. The streets of Nour became busy preparing for the grand return of these men, while the palace hurriedly made preparations for the upcoming ball in honor of Laith's return. The army was scheduled to return in a few months time. Celine didn't know how to feel, while Zayden had become more gloomy these past few weeks.

To relieve the stress, Celine and Zayden paid a visit to the night bazaar. They were disguised as commoners and had covered their heads with a shawl. She held onto his hand tightly as vendors and merchants flooded the streets. The market was bustling with life and the air was blurred with smoke from the grilled meat.  

They first passed by a merchant selling rare jewels and accessories. Celine carefully observed the exquisite rings and decided to pick one for Hala. She carefully lifted a ring crafted with rubies and tossed the seller a couple of gold coins. She further led Zayden down the path and became entranced by the textiles hung all around the streets to display their designs. They tried to avoid running into the carpets as they walked past, reminding her of a maze. 

Celine was entranced by the rich colors and designs that were nearly priceless in her past world. To witness this piece of history in person astounded her. As she was lost in her thoughts, she loosened her grip on Zayden and they naturally separated from a big carpet blocking their path. She reached out and traced the detailed tribal patterns in wonder, and met Zayden's golden eyes again once she left the maze-like area of the market. 

As their eyes instantly met, they blushed in the deepest shade of red. Zayden and Celine were filled with adrenaline, unable to contain their excitement from experiencing time outside of the palace. Their hands intertwined as they finally reached the food vendors. After stuffing their stomachs with various foods, they watched street performers dance. Eventually, the dancers pulled Zayden and Celine into their circle.

At first, Zayden vehemently refused and planted his feet on the floor. Celine laughed and dragged him along anyways, and she took his hands as she twirled around let her body follow the performer's movements. Zayden continued to stand awkwardly and watch her dance, until he finally caved in and they were both laughing and dancing. No one seemed to pay attention to these children covered in darker clothing. 

It was then Zayden felt an ominous stare piercing the back of his head. He turned around to see a young, handsome man glaring at Celine. Although the stranger's face remained neutral, his eyes betrayed him. It was filled with... hurt? 

Zayden frowned and thought it was the blonde man who had approached Celine at the last Familial Ball. Then he realized that this man was far taller, sculpted, and his blonde hair seemed more silky. Zayden froze as he met the stranger's golden eyes filled with anger and betrayal. Golden eyes that resembled Zayden.

The Crown Prince? Before he could observe any further, the stranger disappeared.

"What's wrong? Why'd you stop moving?" Celine asked in confusion.

Zayden broke off from Celine and ran to where the man had just stood. Celine chased after him in a hurry. 

"Wait! Where are you going?" She panted.

"What does the Crown Prince look like."

"huh? What-"

"What does he look like?" Zayden's eyes seemed to be in a frenzy, his face pale as if he had seen a ghost.

"Blonde hair and golden eyes like yours. Why?"

Zayden looked into Celine's eyes for a moment and let out a sigh, shaking his head. "It was nothing. I must be too worried. I'm seeing things now. He couldn't possibly be here." 

"What are you saying... You probably just saw a foreigner. He's coming back from Krastia and then touring the entire empire. How would he be able to come back this quickly?" Celine raised her eyebrows. "And also, what are you worried about?"

"It's something you can't fix." He walked past her and headed back towards the palace. Their fun night had finally come to a close because it was getting late. Celine tried to catch up to him as they walked past the vendors.

"What do you mean?" As she continued to nag and ask questions, Celine felt even more annoyed. "Let me at least try and help you."

Zayden stopped walking and drew his face closer to hers. He had grown taller, and now they reached the same height. This made Celine feel strangely nervous. He looked older than a 13 year old.

"Do you really want to help me?" 

"....Yes." 

"Let me sleep with you tonight." 

Celine widened her eyes and felt her cheeks grow warmer. "What?! No!"

"Why not. We always slept together when we were younger." He said shamelessly, smirking at her flustered facial expression.

"It's improper to sleep in the same room because I am 16. We can't. You don't get nightmares or assassination attempts too so why should we?."

"Because I want to bed you." His smirk grew bigger.

"What a shameless thing to say as a 13 year old. Who taught you! Don't say things that will make people misunderstand. I'm engaged!" She stomped away from Zayden, who's playful smile had turned into a dark, unreadable expression. 

As they walked separately to their respective rooms, Celine was filled with unexpected giddiness. Her heart fluttered and her cheeks reddened. She laughed as she recalled what Zayden had shamelessly said. 

"He'll definitely be breaking hearts in the future."