my best friend

I sighed as I stared blankly at the cork board in front of me. Pictures, red string, lose ends all meaningless! I've been trying for three entire weeks to find kokichi and nothing! No leads! No suspects! Whoever kidnapped kokichi was determined to not be found. I leaned onto my dark brown wooden desk and buried my head in my hands. This was all so.....terrible! Why.....why! Why did this have to happen! In a moment of exhausted frustration I tossed my half drank, cold, cup of coffee to the right of me and it shattered into pieces.....thats the third cup this week.....

I heard a light, soft knock at the front door a few moments after sitting there in silence....maybe someone found something or it could just be rantaro with McDonald's again....either way it's better than me sitting here slowly going mad over this mystery. I sighed softly before slowly getting up off of my spinning desk chair and walking out of my room, straight to the front door but before I opened it I thought to myself for a moment. I shouldn't get my hopes up this mystery is unsolvable...wait- n-no what am I talking about nothing is really unsolveable just seemingly impossible I heard another, slightly louder knock come from the door this time. Ugh I've been sitting here monologuing to myself and I haven't even opened the door yet.

I slapped myself lightly to appear more awake, put on my best 'I'm a functioning member of society that went to sleep last night' voice and opened the door to see kaede standing there with a worried smile on her face. Kaede was my best friend ever since we were children but I haven't seen her in years, we mostly just texted so what is she doing here? I immediately noticed that she got a haircut, her hair now stopped at her shoulders instead of reaching her lower back like it used to. It looked surprisingly fluffy. As soon as I saw her I was filled with nostalgia, like I was back in my childhood. I smiled as I gave her a hug that she quickly returned "kaede it's really you...Good morning" I greeted as I gave her a small smile. I heard a laugh coming from my childhood friend "it's nine p.m" "Good night then?" Another small laugh escaped kaede's lips before we separated. She smiled at me fondly and her concerned face was slightly more relaxed "but um....you live pretty far away so what brings you here?"

Kaede's smile slowly faded as she looked down, probably trying to remember why she was here in the first place. Kaede was never the type to be forgetful though...."Well uh I heard about what happened to your friend, kokichi....your friend kirumi told me that you weren't eating or sleeping as much as you should be so I came to make sure you didn't die trying to solve this mystery....I can't exactly do that over text you know...." I suddenly got much more nervous than before. I told kirumi that I was fine why didn't she believe me! I don't want anyone to worry about me over something so....dumb.... "No no I'm fine really" I said as I shook my head but kaede didn't buy it

"Well, even if you are fine I came all this way so will you at least let me stay over for a bit until I can get a plane ticket home?" I considered her words briefly before smiling "of course you can!"