Chapter 16

Kiley was in her room, working on homework, when Drew walked in.

"I have to go to a promotion ceremony for a friend of mine's tonight." Drew said. "Do you want to come?"

"Sure." Kiley said.

"Get changed. We'll be leaving in about ten minutes." Drew said. "Wear something formal."

"Ok." Kiley said.

Drew closed the door behind him and Kiley started to get ready. She went over to her closet and searched for a dress. She found a green long sleeved one with a belt around the waist and plaid bottom. She put brown shoes on and went into the bathroom. She straightened her hair and put a headband in. She picked her clutch and phone and walked out of her room. She went into the hallway and saw Drew wearing his uniform.

"You look nice

"You look nice." Drew complimented.

"Thank you." Kiley said.

"Ready to go?" Drew asked.

"Yep." Kiley said. Drew grabbed his keys and the two of them headed out to the truck.

"Can you get in the back?" Drew asked. "We're picking up Krista on the way."

"Sure." Kiley said as she got in and buckled up. Drew got in, started it, and drove out of the driveway.

"I'm glad you have the night off." Kiley said. "I've missed spending time with you."

"I'm home during the day." Drew said.

"I know, but the only times I get to see you are when you're taking me to school and a few hours when I get home." Kiley said. "The only time I really get to spend time with you are on the weekends."

"I'm sorry." Drew apologized. "I know I work weird hours."

"It's fine." Kiley said. "I also miss Rick too."

"I know." Drew said. "I do too." Even though Kiley hadn't known Rick for very long, she had bonded with him when Drew would be working. She was disappointed when he left and missed him.

A little bit later, Kiley, Drew, and Krista were in a room with a bunch of other veterans.

"Thanks for inviting me." Krista said. "I've never been to a promotion ceremony before. It's so exciting."

"Army promotions are much tamer at home." Drew said. "If we were on deployment, Javy would be running to the mud, getting punched in chest by every NCO in his battalion."

"Well, let me know when you promoted." Krista said. "Because I got a great right hook."

"What rank are you?" Kiley asked Drew.

"Lieutenant." Drew said. Kiley nodded. They focused their attention to the ceremony as a man started to speak.

"Javier Luis Castro has been advanced from Sergeant to Staff Sergeant." He said. Everyone started to clap. A few minutes later, Javy and a woman came up to them.