Chapter 13

One night, Kiley was sleeping when she heard something. She got out of the bed and rushed out of room. When she came into the living, she saw Rick on the floor.

"Rick!" She said, going over to him and helping him to the couch. "Are you ok?"

"Yeah." Rick said. "I'm sorry if I woke you up."

"What happened?" Kiley asked.

"I was trying to change a lightbulb and I fell." Rick answered.

"Are you hurt?" Kiley asked.

"I think I did something to my leg." Rick said. "I need to go to the hospital to get it looked at."

"Ok." Kiley said. She grabbed both of their jackets and handed Rick his.

"Can you get my crutch?" Rick asked. Kiley got Rick's crutch and brought it to him. They walked outside and got in his car. Rick started it and drove to the hospital. When they got the hospital, they walked in and saw Krista. She saw them and went over to them.

"What are you guys doing here?" She asked. Then, she saw the crutch. "You hurt your leg?"

"Maybe. It's probably nothing." Rick said. "Could you take a look at it?"

"Yeah. Let me find Drew." Krista said.

"Actually, could you not?" Rick asked. "Please." Krista nodded and brought them to a room. Rick sat on the table and Kiley sat in a chair.

"You fighting with Drew or something?" Krista asked as she looked at Drew's foot.

"No." Rick said. "Well, I'm sure you know. He tells you everything."

"I don't about everything." Krista said. "It's all an adjustment."

"Yeah." Rick said. "So, is it broken?"

"No, but it's a pretty bad sprain." Krista said. "I'm going to need to splint it." Rick started to laugh.

"Go ahead. Say it." He said.

"What?" Krista asked.

"I sprained my ankle." Rick said. "I sprained my only ankle."

"Rick." Krista said.

"No. I'm messing with you." Rick said. "I lost my leg not my sense of humor."

"Sorry. I'm in work mode right now." Krista said. "Let's get you splinted."

"Sure." Rick said. When he sat up, he winced in pain.

"Do you mind if I take a look at your other leg?" Krista asked.

"Yeah." Rick said. He took his prosthetic off. Krista looked at it.

"You know, I would love to get Dr. Chavez in here." Krista said. "He's taking over Scott's surgical cases and it'd good to get him up to speed."

"Ok." Rick said.

"I'll be right back." Krista said, before walking out of the room. A minute later, she was with a guy that they guessed was Dr. Chavez.

"Rick, this is Dr. Chavez." Krista said.

"Good to meet you." Dr. Chavez said. "Krista caught me up."

"Nice to meet you." Rick said.

"How's the post-op pain?" Dr. Chavez asked.

"Some minor irritation." Rick said.

"Well, that's not minor. That's a seroma." Dr. Chavez said. "Those can be pretty painful. I'm going to have to aspirate."

"Which is just a big word for sticking me with a needle." Rick said.

"Basically." Dr. Chavez said. Just then, Drew came into the room.

"Rick? Jocelyn told me you and Kiley were here." He said. "Are you ok?"

"Yeah, I'm fine." Rick said.

"You hurt your ankle? Let me take a look." Drew said.

"No. It's ok." Rick said. "Krista took care of it."

"She did?" Drew asked, looking at Krista. "I didn't know that. How long have you been here?"

"Actually, he's got a seroma." Dr. Chavez said. "I need to aspirate."

"Dr. Chavez, Topher needs to speak to you." Jocelyn said, coming into the room.

"Ok. I'll be right there." Dr. Chavez said.

"Go." Krista said. "I can aspirate."

"Ok." Dr. Chavez said. "Nice meeting you, Rick."

"You too." Rick said.

"I think I can do it." Drew said to Krista. "You've done enough."

"Ok." Krista said.

"Thanks." Rick said. Krista left the room.

"How did this happen?" Drew asked, once Krista had left.

"I was trying to change a lightbulb so I could read." Rick said.

"You got on a ladder?" Drew asked. "Rick, our ceiling is 12 feet high. Why didn't you just wait till I got home?"

"I'm your boyfriend, not your child." Rick said. "That's why I went to Krista. I don't want you to do everything for me."

"Just relax, all right." Drew said. "It's a lightbulb."

"Yeah, it's just a lightbulb." Rick said.

"It's just going to take some time to adapt." Drew said.

"Adapt to what?" Rick asked. "Forget that I'll never be able to lead my troops into combat again. Forget that we'll never be able to climb Machu Picchu like we talk about. I can't even change a damn lightbulb."

"I know it's hard." Drew said.

"No you don't!" Rick said. They were quiet for a moment. They looked at Kiley.

"Kiley, why don't you go to the break room." Drew said. "We'll come and find you in a little bit." Kiley nodded and walked out of the room. She went into the break room. She got a snack and a drink from the vending machine, with the money she had leftover from lunch, and sat on the couch. Kiley was used to this. Since Rick's surgery, Drew and Rick would get into arguments. Usually, they would do it at night while she was sleeping to keep her from hearing. But most of the time, she did. As she waited, Drew came into the room.

"Hey Ki." Drew said. "Rick's going to take you home."

"Are you two ok?" Kiley asked.

"Yeah, but he's moving out after tonight." Drew said.

"He is?" Kiley asked.

"Yeah." Drew said. Kiley hugged Drew.

"I'm sorry, Kiley." Drew said. "We try our best to keep you from hearing us argue."

"It's ok." Kiley said. They walked out of the room and Rick took Kiley home.