Chapter 26

A little bit later, there was a knock on the door.

Rick answered it. "Hello Hannah." He greeted.

"Hello Mr. Lincoln." Hannah greeted back.

"What are you doing here?" Kiley asked.

"I wanted to make sure you were ok after what happened today." Hannah said.

"I'm ok." Kiley said.

"Kiley, why don't you go put another dinner setting for Hannah." Rick said. Kiley nodded and walked into the kitchen. Rick turned back to Hannah. "Can I ask what happened today?" He asked.

"Kiley didn't tell you?" Hannah asked.

"She didn't want to." Rick said.

"There's this girl in school that's been making fun of Kiley being a foster kid and saying that her foster Dad doesn't really want her and that he left to get away from her." Hannah explained. "She was saying very rude things about the military and people being apart of the military." Rick listened to Hannah. "It's been going on for awhile." Hannah said. "I know what Kiley did was wrong, but I understand how Kiley was getting fed up with it."

"Thank you for telling me, Hannah." Rick said. "Do you mind if I a moment alone with Kiley?"

"Of course." Hannah said.

"You're welcome to stay for dinner." Rick said. "We have pizza and soda in the kitchen. Please, help yourself."

"Thank you." Hannah said.

Kiley came back into the room, as she had heard their conversation.

"Are you ok?" Rick asked.

"I'm sorry." Kiley said, getting upset. "I promise I'll never do it again."

"Kiley, calm down." Rick said. "It's ok." Kiley calmed down. "I shouldn't be doing this because I should be punishing you instead." Rick started. "But, I have something for you."

"What?" Kiley asked.

"I know it's been rough for you lately." Rick continued, handing her a gift. "So, I got you something."

"What is it?" Kiley asked.

"Why don't you open it and find out." Rick said. Kiley opened the gift to see a 3DS and a couple of games. "Drew said you've been wanting one." Rick said.

"Thank you." Kiley said.

"You're welcome." Rick said. "Come on. Let's eat dinner." The two headed into the kitchen.

"How much trouble did you get in with the principal?" Hannah asked.

"He was going to suspend me, but Rick convinced him not to." Kiley explained. "I have detention after school for a week instead."

"So, no track for a week?" Hannah asked. Kiley nodded. "Well, it's better than being suspended." Hannah said.

"Yeah." Kiley agreed. "On a better note, Rick got me a 3DS. I've always wanted a DS."

"I have one too and I always have it with me." Hannah said. "We can play together."

"Cool." Kiley said.

"Make sure you're homework is done first." Rick said.

"It is." Kiley said.

While Kiley and Hannah hung out, Rick was FaceTiming Drew. He told Drew what happened.

"Is she suspended?" Drew asked.

"No." Rick said. "I convinced the principal to not suspend her. She does have after school detention, though."