Chapter 2

I stood in shock, unabled to say anything.

"I want you to make a reservation at Slater Wellness & Spa." Mr. Barlett repeated.

Yes, I heard him the first time. But I prayed I hadn't heard correctly.

"Liz?"

"Um... Yes. We'll stay at Slater Wellness & Spa?"

"Yes. The owner is a close friend of mine. And his hotel one of the best ones in that city. Besides, we will organize a video production, which will be performed there."

"Bradford Slater is your friend?"

"Do you know him?"

Did I know him!? Damn it!  What was I supposed to tell him... That he is my ex-boyfriend's father, and also with whom I was sleeping...

"Yes, I know him. He is the father of my friend." I shortened the story. "Um, Mr. Barlett, I'm afraid I won't be able to come."

"That's not an option, Liz. I need you there."

"But..."

"No 'but'. You and Zara will be there no matter what!"

"Okay. I'm gonna make a reservation."

Mr. Barlett walked out of my office and I clutched my face with hands. Was that really happening?

After I came out of shock and booked a reservation at the hotel, I wrote a message to Kelly.

Even though we no longer lived in the same city, Kelly was still my best friend. And the only one of my old friends who didn't hate me.

"Kells, you will not believe it! 😱"

"What's going on, Liz? 🤔"

"We are going on a business trip with my boss in a few days. Guess which hotel we will stay at 🙀"

"No way! 😱"

"Yes... At Bradford's Hotel... I tried to get out of the trip... But my boss doesn't accept any excuses. He wants me there at any cost..."

"Omg, Liz... Are you ready to meet Mr. Slater again?"

"Nope. But I don't have a choice."

"Maybe at least you'll finally find out why he left without saying anything to you."

"I don't want to open old wounds. I hope I won't run into him at all. Although it turned out that my boss was friends with him. 🤦‍♀️"

"I don't know what to say... Fingers crossed, everything to go smoothly 🤞🤞🤞"

"Thank you, Kelly!"

"Keep me updated 😘"

"Of course 😘"

After we finished our chat with Kelly, I went to Zara's office to tell her about the trip. Considering that she knew about the story of my life, she was almost surprised as I was. Being super kind as always, she tried to reassure me. But how could I be reassured after knowing where we were about to go.

I spent the next two days trying to mentally prepare for it. But how could I? The last place I ever thought I would go to again was that hotel. I wasn't ready. To meet him again. And I was thinking I never would be. After everything that happened. After everything, he did to me. Different thoughts were running through my mind- couldn't I say I was sick? But then, I knew that my boss really needed me on business trips. I was his assistant. He trusted in me. And I couldn't betray his trust.