43: Manal

Inline comments, guys 🤓

"Jawaad?" I read out the message. I shook my head in disbelief and denial.  "It can't be. Maybe it's someone else...I mean, he isn't the only one bearing the name..."

Which Jawaad, please?

I put the phone away from me and took in a deep breath. I didn't know what to expect, but I definitely didn't want to be disappointed. My hopes had already skyrocketed.

When the phone beeped, indicating a new message, I couldn't bring myself to pick up the phone immediately. I had to take in another deep breath and exhale before mustering the courage to.

Farida's brother.

+2347000000071

My breath hitched in my throat. I had to fixate my eyes closely to the screen to ensure I wasn't just hallucinating. "Why is he messaging me though?" My brows furrowed in incomprehension. It was weird—weird because he had given me the impression that he didn't like me at all. I was lost.

Okay? How may I help you?

I sent my reply and gulped down a globe of nerve. Low-key, I wished he wouldn't reply, because I didn't want him to burst my bubbles.

About five minutes later, he still hadn't responded. "Maybe that's it." I mumbled; a tad disappointed.

Hala walked into the room and sat beside me on the bed. "What's up?"

I furrowed my brows. "Nothing. Why?"

"You look flushed."

Did I? I ran a hand over my face. "I'm not. Maybe I'm just tired from the journey."

"Are you sure?" She asked, skepticism visible on her face. "You keep staring at your phone."

What? I didn't even realize I had been staring at the phone, until she pointed it out. I mentally cringed, but managed to maintain a straight face. "Huh?"

"Who are you chatting with?" She wiggled her brows. "Who is he?"

"You don't know what you're saying." I rolled my eyes. "Do you think everybody is like you?"

"I'm about to find out." She reached for the phone, but I was quick to move it away on instinct.

My heart almost leapt out of my chest when I got a notification of a new message. I was afraid—more like cautious. The last thing I wanted, was for Hala to read my messages. 

"You just got a message from him." She chuckled. "Aren't you going to read it?"

"Who's the he you keep talking about?" I sneered. "Sorry to burst you bubbles, but it's Ummi."

"And you expect me to believe you?" She shook her head. "You told me yourself that Ummi would rather call than send text messages. Try another lie with a better lie."

"Cool." I shrugged. "Believe whatever you want."

"Keep hiding stuff from me, but don't worry, I will return the favor soon."

"Whatever." I rolled my eyes. "Didn't you say you have somewhere to be?" I asked, eager for her to leave me alone, so I could view the message I got. I had a hunch it was from Jawaad. Deep down, I knew I would be disappointed if it was from someone else.

"Uhn uhn." She shook her head. "Cancelled. I wanted to visit a friend in room 2, but since you're back, I've got no reason to."

Nonplussed, I hummed.