52: Manal

What started not so seriously, deteriorated. It had been three long months since Hala ended her friendship with me. I thought she had said that in the heat of the moment and that she would return to her senses sooner or later, but she never did. Hala never came back to her senses after all...

She wasn't completely ignoring me. Like she said, she now treated me no less than a course mate.

On several occasions, I had tried to talk thing out with her, but all of my efforts ran down the drain. She never even gave me a listening ear. I knew Hala was stubborn, but she proved to me just how much. I never imagined our friendship would end in that way. Hala may have her setbacks, but for sure, she had been a good friend to me. She always had my back. She defended me when needed. Never, not even for once had she thrown me under the bus.

I acted like I was okay, but deep down, I wanted my friend back. I wanted to hear her call me 'Amiga' once more. I had missed hearing it. Even the way she used to annoy me, was missed.

Indeed, we don't know what we have until we lose it. One way or the other, I knew I had taken Hala's friendship for granted, but she still held on. Like she always said, I always kept secrets from her-something she never did. I was always the first to hear her secrets. She even told me her family secrets, because she trusted me enough.

I had gotten so used to her that four months without our friendship seemed like forever.

Meanwhile, Farida and I had gotten closer-we were on the road to getting back to our former destination. And, with my relationship with her brother, things were easier. Since Hala was either ignoring me or out with her other friends, I had no other choice than to go to Farida's room and stay. While there, she would practically force me to study together with her. Most times, I wasn't in the mood to study, but because she would not stop bugging me, I'd end up giving in. And..it helped-it really did.

A few weeks to examinations, Farida, Na'eem and I were always in the library. If anyone was looking for us, that was were we would be found. We had become reading partners. Na'eem being in the same department as me, plus a genius, helped tremendously. He was always there to put me through. He took it upon himself to help me get higher marks so my grades would spike.

I was thankful to Farida and Na'eem, because those two succeeded in clicking on my factory reset button.

Na'eem was the kind of friend anyone would wish to have. He was kind, loyal, intelligent, handsome, you name it. I was glad to be associated with the most intelligent boy in class-the boy almost all the girls had a crush on.

And surprisingly, Na'eem didn't seem interested in anyone. I knew he liked Hala before-he never made it known to me, but nevertheless I comprehended. For the past few weeks, the seemed the energy had dissipated though. He no longer spoke of her when we were together. I made a mental note to ask him about it after out last paper.

After fajr prayer, I began to prepare for class, because Na'eem and I had agreed to go to the library first, before going to write our final paper for the semester.

I was donned in a grey lace-skirt and blouse, with an ash colored hijab draped over.

I stuffed my reading materials into my grey bag and was set to go.

I was already at the exit of the room, when I remembered Hala. We might not be on good terms at the moment, but we were course mates after all. I deemed it fit to at least invite her to come read with Na'eem and I, even though I knew she would blatantly decline.

I walked to Hala's bunk. She was sprawled in her bed. It looked like she had forgotten she had an examination to write that morning.

"Hala?" I called and talked on her shoulder lightly.