4. Manal

Unedited 🙏

After subhi prayer, I spent an extra ten minutes, thanking Allah for sending someone to my aid when I had began to lose all hope. I couldn't even imagine what would have happened if he hadn't appeared. I suddenly remembered I didn't even get to thank him for saving me. I cringed - he must have concluded I was an ingrate when I alighted his car without a word. I face palmed.

"Assalamu'alaykum." Came Imran's voice from the other side of the door.

I stood up and folded the prayer mat. I returned it to its place - a drawer and ambled towards the door. "Wa'alaykum salam." I replied as soon as I opened the door and he came into view. "What do you want?" I asked, walking back into the room and having a seat on the edge of my bed. I could hear his footsteps right behind me.

"Good morning, Manal." He greeted and sat beside me.

I narrowed my eyes at him. "What do you want?"

"Why did you leave the house yesterday?" He asked. " Do you know how worried Ummi was? She couldn't stop crying and praying for your safety."

She cried? Because I was missing? I felt more guilty for what I did. "Didn't you hear the explanation I gave to Ummi? Besides, where I went to is none of your business. Stop interfering in my affairs." I remarked, irritatedly. Imran was an example of a typical younger brother - annoying.

"If you say so, but once abii returns, I'm definitely going to tell him about what happened yesterday." He gave a lopsided smile and got up to leave the room.

Knowing how Imran could get, I knew he wouldn't hesitate to do just that. I quickly grabbed his arm before he could walk away. "You're kidding, right? Please don't tell him." I beseeched.

"I will. You can't stop me." He rolled his eyes.

"I will give you some money. How about that?" I asked. I was willing to give him the little money I had left on me if that would make him shut his mouth.

"How much are you going to give me?" He asked, with a crooked smile plastered on his face.

I wished I could slap the smile away. Amidst fighting the urge to gnash my teeth, I forced a smile. "A thousand."

"Just a thousand?" He shook his head. "No, thanks. What will I do with one thousand? I'm not a kid anymore, you know?"

"Okay, two." I negotiated.

"Make it five." He stipulated.

"I don't have such amount right now. The money I had was stolen. Had it been I have the money, you know I wouldn't hesitate to give it to you. What do you need so much money for anyways?"

"There's something I really want to buy and I don't want to ask abii directly for the money." He replied.

"I have just two thousand right now. You can either take it, or leave it." I sneered.

"Alright, I'll take it, but I'm definitely coming back for the rest tomorrow. If you don't give it to me, I will call abii and inform him." He blackmailed with a self satisfied smile.

"Fine." I huffed. "Get out of my room. I was busy before you came in."

Wordlessly, he walked out.

I trailed behind him and slammed the door. I heaved a deep sigh - Imran was a pain in the neck. I couldn't wait to gain admission into the university and go live elsewhere.

"Manal?" I heard Imran calling my name from outside my room. I thought he had left. What was he still doing there?

I ignored him.

"Manal." He called again. "Ummi wants to see you."

"Tell her I will be there soon." I replied.

I couldn't help, but imagine why she had called for me. Perhaps to scold me some more or to warn me again about Farida. I unlocked my door and sauntered to her room.

When I pushed open the door, I met her seated on the couch, typing away on her laptop. "Assalamu'alaykum. Good morning, Ummi." I greeted, still standing by the door.

"Wa'alaykum salaam." He replied. "Why are you just standing there? Come in."

Hesitantly, I approached her and sat on her bed.

She kept the laptop on the nightstand and came to sit beside me.

I looked everywhere, but her. I couldn't bring myself to look her in the eyes after what transpired between us yesterday.

"How are you?" She asked.

By her question, my brows furrowed on their own accord, but I answered nonetheless. "I'm fine."

"I hope you are not hurt anywhere. If you are, you should speak up, because I'm taking you to the hospital later for checkup."

"No, Ummi." I declined. " There's absolutely no need for that. I'm alright. Apart from these visible bruises, I'm not hurt elsewhere."

"My mind won't be at ease until I'm assured by a doctor."

"Please trust me on this, Ummi. I'm really fine. I don't need to see a doctor." I pleaded. What happened had already passed. I wanted to move on already.

"I don't know if you know why I'm Always worried about you, but I will tell you today. You may think we are being too strict with you, but believe me, it is for your own good. You are a girl and as such, very fragile. Both you and your brother are amanah given to us by Allah and we will definitely be questioned on how we raised you. I got angry with you yesterday, because I didn't expect you to do such a thing. I was angry, because I care. Because I love you and don't know what I would have done if something terrible had happened to you.

I could have simply embraced you after hearing your story and tell you not to do that again or turned a blind eye, but you most probably are going to repeat the same mistake in the future. I said all those words to you, because I wanted you to realise your mistake yourself. I didn't say them to you because I hate you. I'm just looking out for you, Manal. No matter how bothersome it may seem to you, I will go to any extent to protect you."

Tears welled up in my eyes at her words. Initially I had thought she was overdoing it, but now that she had explained everything to me, I completely understood why she reacted the way she did. Every parents would be as worried as she was. I realised she did the right thing, by scolding me. "I love you, Ummi." I embraced her. "I'm sorry." I apologized.

"I love you too." She placed a kiss on the side of my head. "Just promise never to do anything that would being shame to us as parent."

"In shaa Allah, Ummi, I won't." I responded, unwrapping my arms from around her. "When is abii returning? Wallahi, I've missed him so much."

"Just before you walked in, we talked. He is going to be back tomorrow, in shaa Allah."

"Really?" A smile marred my lips. It had been almost a week. I couldn't wait to see him again. I missed him a lot. A frown suddenly etched my forehead as I recalled my conversation with Imran few minutes ago. "What if he tells abii?" I mumbled to myself. Instead of being happy to see me, he would be disappointed instead. I didn't want that to be the case.

"Yes." She smiled.

She missed him a lot too - just by that single smile if hers, I could tell. Right from when I was still a kid, I had always admired the love my parents shared. Hardly would you come across them fighting. What I admired the most about them, was the respect they had for one another and how their love seemed to increase, even as they grew older. Their bond was still as strong as I have ever known. I wanted a relationship just like theirs. I prayed to Allah to give me a husband, exactly like abii.

Assalamu'alaykum/ hello?

The story hasn't really begun! It will get more interesting with few more chapters. How are you liking the book so far?

deey_jah
❤❤❤