Chapter 4

I turn around to hear everyone greeting Kuroo as their captain. His eye set on mine and we both stand still for a few moments.

"Hey, can Kenma join a few of our practices?" Ai asks Kuroo who keeps his eyes on me.

"Sure." He suddenly says while walking to the bench and sits down.

The person on the other side of the net then serves right towards Ai who in turn has a crappy receive. I look at the other team and back to the ball without a split second focusing on where everyone position is. Ai leaps from the ground and instead of sending the ball to him, I flick my wrist and listen to the ball as it drops to the floor. The sound is calming and sends chills through my body.

"What was that?!" Ai questions while pointing at the ball.

"A setter dunk. . . You make it too obvious where you are going to attack." I state blandly. Kuroo chuckles quietly to himself but im still able to hear it.

"Kenma has been playing volleyball for years, he can locate everyone on the same side of the net and the other side." Kuroo says making my heart race.

"If you really want to be an ace, you need to fine different tactics in attacking. I'm a middle blocker but I still manage to score with my blocks by my tactics." Ai nods his head taking Kuroos words into deep consideration.

"Again!" He yells out while getting into position to serve. I turn around getting prepared until I feel something slam into the back of my head. I fall on my knees clutching the back of my head and slowly turn my head to glare at Ai. My hair covers my eyes partially and everyone runs to check on me where as Ai shiver in place. I stand up waving everyone off and stare at Ai as they let him try the serve again. He trembles as I stare at him serving. This time he manages to make it over the net and I turn around getting ready and they set a sloppy attack. The shorter person received it skillfully with oerfect precision and I get ready to set. This time, Ai radiates a sense of energy off of him as he races towards the net. In my mind, I mark everyones placements and quickly set to Ai who is already in the air. His hand connects with the ball sending it hurling towards the ground. Everyone cheers him on and he yells out.

"YEAAAHHH!!!" He yells. Kuroo chuckles and slaps his back.

"Dont get ahead of yourself their. You still got a lot of work to do, especially with your recieving." He slumps down bored at the sound of work. I hide my smile and continue to practice with them for a few more hours.

When practice is over, I head back over to my dorm room with my jacket and lap top. Kuroo somehow beats me there and is already making food. The smell fills my nose and makes me want to peak at what he is making but I decide against it and head straight to my bedroom. I pull out my Nintendo and start gaming until I hear a faint knock on my door.

"Come in." I say while sitting up on against the wall still gaming.

"Hey. . ." Kuroo says while sitting on my bed.

"Your gonna have a bruise tomorrow, let me rub the swelling out?" He mumbles while pointing at my cheek. I had been so nonchalant about my body, I hadnt realized the pain radiating from my cheek. I nod my head slowly as my heart races. He dips a rag into a warm bowl of water and rings it out before gently placing it on my face. His finger brushes my cheek while he rubs my cheek with a gentle force. I stare down at my Nintendo trying to concentrate but fail due to his close presence.

Suddenly he stops pulling his hand back and places the rag in the bowl.

"Please dont jump in the middle of a fight like that again Kenma. . . also. . . dinner is done." He says while leaving my bedroom. My face blushes red entirely as I cannot hold it in anymore. He has changed almost entirely from high school. He used to speak to me with such confidence and. . . oh. . . I realize that its my fault and the words repeat in my head once again.

"I dont ever want to see you again." I remember saying to him. My heart drops as I slowly crawl off the bed. I have yo face him sooner or later. . . But things can never go back to the way they used to be. . .

"Hey Kuroo. . .?" I say while taking a seat at the table in front of him where my bowl sits ready for me. The warm smell of clam chowder fills my nose making my mouth water.

"Yes?" He asks before taking a spoon full of food.

"Can we talk?" I mumble gently feeling embrassed. He drops his spoon back into his bowl and nods gently at me while staring down at his food.

"Uhm. . . In high school. . . I said some. . ." I start but he cuts me off all of the sudden.

"I know, and I'm sorry your stuck being my roommate." He says while staring down with a hurt expression. I let my hair fall in my face as I feel it is all my fault.

"No. . . I like. . . being your uhm. . . rommate." I mumble gently.

"I'm sorry. . . for what I said in high school. It just didnt come out the right way it how I wanted it to. . ." I choke on my words not knowing what to say next.

"You never were good with your words. . ." He chuckles gently. We both look up at the same time making eye contact.

"Why did you say it that way though Kenma? Did I do something wrong. . .?" I shake my head and take in a deep breath.