Chapter 3

After taking out the trash, I head back to our dorm to grab my laptop from my suitcase and head to class. All during class, I play Minecraft until the professor suddenly calls me.

"Kozume Kenma. May you answer question 63." I nod my head and hang my head low letting my hair cover my face as I walk up to the front of the classroom. I pick up an expo marker and begin leaving marks across the board trying to solve the question. When I finish I set the marker down and continue to look at the board.

"Very good Kenma." I turn around bpwing my head and realize all the eyes on me. I never liked being the center of attention. . . I head back to my seat and realize its time for me to head to lunch so I grab my laptop and head to the filled cafeteria. I use my laptop to hold my plate while I put a single slice of pizza on it along with a juice box before heading to an empty table and taking a seat.

I casually glance up towards the door where a familiar hyena laugh uprupts. Kuroo is walking in dressed in a volleyball set with other players surrounding him. Suddenly, he stops laughing while staring straight down the cafeteria. I look behind me to see the man from last night making out with someone else. Kuroo walks up to him and holds out his hand. Its hard to hear what they say so I move my hair behind my ear to listen more closely.

"The key please." He states sternly. The smaller man slowly begins to stop kissing the man and looks at Kuroo.

"What?" He asks confused while sitting back onto a table.

"The keys to my dorm." Kuroo replies, annoyance sounding from his voice.

"Why?" The small man slurs from his mouth.

"I'm not gonna date a whore." The man who had been kissing im guessing Kuroos boyfriend pushing Kuroo back standing between the two. All of the sudden, Kuroo throws a fist forward at the older mans face making him grip his jaw. He is bigger than Kuroo and looks a lot older. He tackles Kuroo to the ground and starts throwing punches. Kuroo continues to punch the older man despite being below him. My heart begins to race but not faster than my legs before I realise what I'm doing.

I leap forward throwing whatever weight I had at the man knocking him off of Kuroo. His fist catches me in the cheek as I fall on top of him and a sting of pain is sent through my whole face. The older man looks from me and Kuroos now ex boyfriend confused before standing up and dusting off his butt. Everyone in the cafeteria is circled around us and points at me whispering. I feel their eyes pierce through my body until an a security guard pushes through the crowd picking me up by the arm. I stare down at my feet while following him into the main office.

"What were you thinking?!" The principle yells at me as I stare down at my fingers while figeting with them.

"kozume kenma! This is only your second day on school grounds and your picking fights with someone 4x your size, what were you thinking?!" Suddenly I hear the door behind me open but I dont look as the voice begins to speak.

"I apologize sir, it was me who picked the fight. Kenma was only trying to break it up." Kuroo says protecting me. Protecting me like always. . . The principle lets out a sigh before dismissing me to my next class. I grab my computer and slide past Kuroo in the doorway heading to my next class. I sit down in class feeling many people staring at me talking about the recent fight that had erupted in the cafeteria. I block them out until a faint voice calling my name snaps me from my trance.

"Kenma!" The teacher yells out one last time. I lift my head feeling everyones eyes on me once again.

"Yes Ms. Buckler?" She smiles while sighing and brushing her hair back with her hands.

"Please come up to the front of the class and share some things about yourself." I push my chair back which makes a loud scraping sound against the floor which fills the silent room. I make my way to the front of the room and turn around facing everyone.

"Hi, my name is Kozume Kenma. I'm 19 and I like to play video games." I say barely loud enough for everyone to hear. One student suddenly jumps up pointing at me.

"Do you play volleyball?! You seem like a volleyball player!" He aays excitedly while waiting for my response. The memories of playing volleyball with Kuroo flash through my mind for a moment causing an ache to appear in my chest. I nod my head slowly.

"I used to in high school." I reply ignoring the pain. I rush back to my seat when the teacher says ive shared enough. When that class ends, the boy that yelled my name from before jogs up to me. He is really tall and has shaggy blonde hair.

"Hey, you should come check out our volleyball team. Maybe you can play a few matches! Im sure our captain wouldnt mind." I shake my head not only because I'm not interested but because I know to expect Kuroo to be there.

"Come on! I wont bother you again about it if you come." He pleads me. I let out a sigh agreeing to and he suddenly grips my wrist tightly.

"You have no classes left right?" He asks enthusiansically. I nod my head in reply before he runs off dragging me behind him. I grip my laptop tightly as to not drop it until he finally lets me go as we enter into a large gym with the sound of balls hitting the ground repeatedly. I look around but dont seem to spot Kuroo which allows me to release a breath I had been holding in.

"Hey, where is captain?!" The taller man yells getting everyones attention.

"He will be a few minutes late to practice." Another man replies while walking up to us.

"Who is this stray?" He adds on.

"He is Kozume Kenma. He used to play volleyball, so I was wondering if he could come to a few practices. We are short on players anyway." The other man rubs the back of his neck before replying.

"I guess, but if Capt. Doesnt like it, its your fault." He says bedore walking off and gathering everyone up around him.

"Oh, by the way! I'm Bojing Ai." I nod my head at him as he snatches my laptop away and aets it on a bench.

"What spot do you play?" The man from before asks me.

"Setter. . ." I mumble. He smacks my back and grabs everyones attention.

"Everyone! This is Kozume Kenma, he will be joining our practice today. Be thankful because he is a setter!" The small group of them jump up happily cheering before bowing their heads and thanking me for joining. Ai tells me that they havent had a proper setter in years making it hard for them to compete. Weare devided in teams of 3 with Ai and a shorter guy on my team.  I take off my jacket placing it on my laptop and get into position to receive the ball as they are serving first. Suddenly, the doors swing open and everyone greets the person as their captain. I turn around to see who it is and my heart entirely stops.