Chapter 2: Lil Man & Mom

Start from the beginning

"You mean dad?"

She scoffs before picking up her plate walking it over to his dishwasher. He takes a few more bites following her lead to load his dirty plate. His mother leans back against the counter seeming deep in thought. 

"When I met your dad, it was all about the next big deal."

"Isn't that a good thing in business?" Luca says leaning against the opposite side looking at her intently. His mother was a head shorter than him with her long blonde hair still as long as he remembers from when he was a kid. 

"Yes to a certain point. My father, your grandpa, wouldn't allow it to rule him. He made that his family his priority and business came second. Now don't get me wrong, there is still a commitment but many other business men see family as a sign of respect. That is why Drake's was number one."

"I still can't believe dad didn't know who you were to begin with."

His mother laughs lights up the room making him smile as well. Her angelic voice is why he gave her the nickname Angel when they first met... among other reasons. 

"Your dad was... well he was a magnet." Luca snorts standing up straight heading for the coffee cup his mother already made him. 

"I'll make sure to tell Dad you think of him like metal."

A light slap to his head makes him turn with playfully narrowed eyes. His mother equally returning them before smiling. 

"Your father's and me attracted each other. I have no other way to describe it. I felt a pull to him and according to him, he felt the same."

"I wish I could find that..." He says sighing. His mother comes forward wrapping him in her arms. Her head laying against his chest while he lays his chin on her head. She was short it was quite cute. Luckily most of the kids gained their dad's height. Sadly Cassidy is short like her but she seems happy about it. 

"You will son."

His heart race still hearing her say that. She accepted him without a thought when he was so young and time and time again has proven to him how much he needed her. Through the teenage years, the fights with his dad, his first heartbreak, his first car accident... she was always right there by his side. 

He kissed her head as she stepped back. Linking her arm through his, he led her out. They continued talking as he led her to her car where George was ready for her. The old man quickly got out before coming around to open the passenger door. Luca shakes his head remembering the argument she had with him about 4 years ago. She said she felt lonely sitting in the back and if he was going to continue driving her even after all the kids were grown, then she would be sitting up front. George was highly against it but one stern glare from his mother quickly shut him up. Dad still trusted George with his mom after all these years. After the car accident when he was a kid, his mother was timid about driving for some time and after so many years, she just felt comfortable with either dad or George driving her. 

"Mr. Sanford"

"George"

He says as George tips his head politely. Luca chuckles before stepping forward to hug the old man. George became a part of their family just like Leo and Tessa. Both of them have since retired but still remain close with the family and come over for Sunday dinner every week. That is the one rule that no one has broken. When Sunday comes, unless otherwise spoken about, they would all meet for dinner at the Sanford home. 

"It's good to see you George"

"Same to you Luca"

"Take care of my mom"

"Always"

Heather comes forward pushing the boys apart before tugging her lil man down for a hug again. He soaks in his mother's affections feeling her warmth seep into him before she pulls back patting his cheek and climbing in the SUV. Luca pats George's shoulder before giving a final nod to the pair and walking to his own car. The red and black Bugatti being his pride and joy. He took great pride in his car and the fact that he worked for it. His dad wanted to gift it to him but his mother said something worth having needed to be earned. He hated it then but was grateful for it now, it was a learning experience.  He made quick to get to the office. 

"Good Morning Sam"

"Good Morning Mr. Sanford."

The front desk man had been here for some time and was always polite and humble to him. He was grateful for the jolly man on days when his work was getting to him. He made his way to his elevator. The doors closed and he closed his eyes counting in his head as the number ascended. He didn't care for elevators but when your office was on the top floor, it was hard not to use it. 

"Good Morning Mr. Sanford."

"Morning Fletcher"

His assistant stood ready to follow him in his office. Luca began taking his jacket off hanging up as Fletcher sat his coffee down on his desk for him. He walked around to sit down as Fletcher began reading his antennary. His mind already over this day as he looks out the window wandering about his balance. He nodded along to Fletcher even though he wasn't listening. Fletcher asked if there was anything else and Luca told him to make sure to let Sam know of the partners visiting today. Fletcher bowed politely before exiting leaving Luca to start looking through the mass of emails and begin his day.