Silas won't say anything. This is part of the favour that I'm cashing in with him.

"Smell me," Fred instructs.

"Again, why?" I ask, shaking my head slightly to the side. I put my hands on my hips, staring me down.

He reaches forward and grabs my hand, dragging me in closer to him. When he lets go, I feel my chest tighten, and my whole body straightens. I wasn't even aware that I had given myself a second to relax.

"We're just having a bit of fun," Fred points out. "What do I smell like?"

My cheeks burn red as I lean down and get a whiff of him. Firewood hits me like a train. Then comes the rain, and finally, the hint of vanilla. I can feel my cheeks getting redder with each passing second.

"You smell like Amortentia," I tell him. "The potion worked then?"

Fred nods at George.

"We should celebrate then," I say, swallowing. "Astronomy tower tonight?"

"Of course," Fred says.

"We'll be there," George's lips are tight.

I bid them farewell and head out of the Great Hall. While I leave, I notice Silas is still staring at me. Only offering him a nod, I wait for a response. I'm met with vacant eyes.

Back in the dormitories, both Bronwyn and Elora are lounging on their beds. Elora lies on her back, staring up at her copy of the Daily Prophet. Her brow is furrowed, and her eyes are narrowing in.

I put the vial down on top of my dresser.

"Is that what you've been making with Professor Snape?" Bronwyn eyes it up briefly. "What is it?"

"Veritaserum," I say, turning around to face her. "We aren't sure if it works. I'm going to use it on my brother this summer."

"You should use it on Ander Ander to find out why he's been so distant," Bronwyn says.

I feel my stomach tearing itself apart. I swallow and nod. "He's just a bit of an oddball."

"He gets on well with Silas," Elora says.

It takes all of my efforts not to swing my head and stare at her. Does she know? Does she know that I know? What are Elora's mind games this time?

"Good, Silas can use some mates," Bronwyn sighs. She turns her back to me, moving back to her copy of her magazine. She's doing a crossword puzzle, which I rarely see her do on her own. It seems like she is struggling too. Normally, she gets Silas to help her.

I guess he gladly would, right now. Thanks to me.

It's all my fault.

Though I want to pace around, I don't. I stay for a few hours, until I claim I'm going to the library. Then, I sneak up into the astronomy tower.

Fred is already there, but there is no sign of George. He is wearing casual clothes, like the first time I saw him. It's a cozy yellow knit sweater and jeans. It's odd, seeing him wear something so muggle-ish. He looks at ease though.

I'm still in my uniform, and now I feel out of place. I take off my tie, shoving it into the pockets of my cloak. From there, I sit down on the ground next to him.

"Where's George?" I ask, not letting my eyes leave him.

I can still smell the firewood, even though he's changed clothes.

Oh, Merlin.

"He promised Lee he would do him a favour," Fred's nose twitches. He looks up at the stars, running a hand through his long ginger hair.

I know he is lying. "He's still upset at me for duelling him, isn't he?"

"Nah," Fred sighs. He looks over at me, and for a second, he goes quiet. He blinks and looks away. "He likes to think that I'm naïve, is all."

Even though I don't know what he means, I nod.

Fred digs through the pockets of his pants and pulls out a flask. He brings it to his lips and swallows. When he passes it to me, I chug as well. It burns my throat, but I already feel like I'm on fire.

A cold wind blows in, and I move closer to Fred, trying to hide behind him. He shivers next to me, his legs jittering beneath him as he pulls them up against his chest.

"Why don't your friends like me?" he asks.

I want to smile, but I feel a deep sadness take me over. "You're just a prankster, Fred."

"It doesn't bother me much," he answers, looking down at me. Our faces are so close to each other. "I just know it bothers you."

"I don't care what they think," I'm not being honest, but it's not to deceive him. It's because if I say it enough, maybe it will be true. At the very minimum, I don't care what Elora thinks of me. Silas and Bronwyn's opinions matter.

"Yes you do," he argues. "It's fine. I care what my friends think too, and they don't think very highly of you."

If I were a more curious person, I would ask why they dislike me. Unfortunately, I don't want to know. It could be my parents, my friends, or even my damn personality.

"What do you think of me?" I ask. Our faces still haven't moved. He's so close that it's hard to see all of him at once. He's a set of brown eyes and coral lips. He's a slightly hooked nose and a strong jawline. My eyes must be flickering across his face at the speed of sound; I'm desperately trying to see him all at once even though it's impossible.

Fred looks up at the stars, and then back down at me. "I don't know what I think of you, but I think of you."

I think of him when he's not around too. I chase him through halls. I watch his shadow in class. Worst of all, I don't even really know him, besides that he's a flicker of bright hair and a smile. However, he breathes life into me like no one I've ever known.

Our lips are centimetres apart.

"I think of you too," I tell him.

"I want to write to you this summer," he tells me. He digs through his pockets and slips me a piece of paper.

I nod. "I will. I promise."

With that, we have been separated. There is a gap between us, and no wind to bring me in. Slowly, I move myself. Millimetre by millimetre, until my head is on his shoulder. He wraps an arm around me, and despite his sweater, I can feel how cold he is.

He stiffens.

I lift my head up to face him. "What?"

He gulps. I watch his Adam's apple bob. "What do you smell, when you smell Amortentia?"

I am still not sure. It confuses me.

I pull away. "Vanilla, mint, and cigars."

He nods. With that, he stands up. "You are such a Slytherin."

"Am I?" I raise an eyebrow, ignoring my racing heart. My eyes itch, and I blink back to prevent myself from crying. The cold is burning them, and so is the moment.

"Yes," he grins but bites his lip. "We should be going before we get caught."

I nod. With that, we head down and out of the tower.

~~~~~

Argh! This chapter both fills me with glee and with rage. Like, they are just so close. This ain't a slow-burn, but it sure does feel like one when this stuff happens. What do you think Fred is thinking?