Chapter 36: Talking Truth

Start from the beginning

Sebastian had gone to Finny, Mey-Rin, Bardroy and Tanaka, each successively, and removed those memories over the night. Sebastian also found a little surprise in Tanaka's mind - that the elder butler knew about Sebastian's true self as a demon, but removed that as well. How he knew was unknown, but it felt more like a suspicion than actual proof.

He allowed Ciel and Lukas to sleep in a little longer than normal due to the late night that had and it wasn't until noon when he awoke his masters. But he did not alter their memories of the events in question.

 But he did not alter their memories of the events in question

That afternoon...

In the Dining Room, Sebastian laid out bunch of eggs benedict, scones, orange juice and tea. Ciel sat at his usual position at the head of the table, while Lukas sat on the side next to him. Only they and Sebastian were in the room, so they could speak freely.

"Do you think we need to worry about the Illuminati, brother?" Lukas said, taking a bite of a scone.

Ciel sipped his tea. "I wouldn't be concerned with them, Lukas," he said. "They would not dare take action against one of their staunch members."

Lukas gasped, crumbs spitting from his mouth. "Staunch members? You -Us?" He gave a look of surprise to Sebastian and the butler nodded. "Why wasn't I told?"

"Simply, the conversion never came up. Vincent Phantomhive, our father, was a very prominent member. And I mean was, past-tense, until he suspected a hidden agenda to usurp England's governing body. Apparently the Inner Circle and the Illuminati were both working towards the same goal, but as two separate entities. And while the Inner Circle is finished, the Illuminati continues to work from behind a curtain. But now that a certain someone has informed them if they continue, a certain someone else will cut off major funding to all their projects." Ciel gave a one-eye glance to Sebastian. The butler nodded.

"You? Do you suspect they may have had a hand in our parent's murder?"

"I don't know, but I don't think they would be that stupid. Bryon Kelvin is still our prime target."

"And yet we only have supposition and conjecture. Thus, our hunt for answers continue."

"Yes, along with another mystery. Namely, who broke the handle to the drawer of my desk in the Study and ruffled the papers on top."

"Could it have been Thann or Spencer Von Strauss? Remember, Reaper Ronald Knox did say he told them to enter the mansion to stay safe."

"Plausible, but what would they be looking for, and why? And where are they now? Not even the Reapers can find them. They appear to have just vanished."