Chapter 32: The Winds Of Change

When Bryan come out of the kitchen with a tray of snacks and drinks for the kids, they ran to the manservant excitedly. He barely had time to put the tray down on a table before the kids began snatching the little cheese sandwiches and little plastic cups of juice, devouring them like "little demons" - and then returned back to playing.

Just recently, Damascus had recited a Roman tale of a Greek wrestler who was so powerful than no one could defeat him. According to Roman mythos, this wrestler was undefeated since he entered the wrestling scene and crushed all his opponents in record time. He was built like a god with massive muscles and was very intelligent in his fighting ability. It was said the Roman Emperor at the time adorned him with riches beyond the wings of avarice. Unfortunately, he had a heart-attack and died one day as he was training. Damascus delivered a morality to the story: Treat your body like a temple. Build a good foundation and you will live a long and healthy life. Treat you body roughly, like the wrestler did, and your life will be short.

The boys enjoyed the story and the next day, oddly enough, they began to act like wrestlers, emulating the story's idol. He wasn't sure if the true ideal of the story got through to the boys, but they were kids, and they probably thought it better being strong than being smart. They were kids, they didn't know any better yet.

Bryan served Damascus and Kassy with a second tray he retrieved from the kitchen after the first. It was a warm, summer day, and larger sandwiches and tall glasses of lemonade were certainly in order. Bryan seemed to know exactly what was needed or wanted, like he was reading their minds. And for which Damascus still had suspicions Bryan could do such being a Fallen Reaper possessing Bryan's body.

"Thank you, Bryan," Kassy said, taking a sandwich from the tray. "I don't know what we would do without you these last couple of days..." She stopped, and blinked several times.

Damascus saw her eyes were becoming glossy.

Only a week ago, her father had died of natural causes in his sleep. William and Beautiese were on their vacation with the Phantomhive's, sort of a second honeymoon for both of them, so they had not been told yet. A funeral was held regardless because the preservation of the body would not last until them returned in another month, and he was laid to rest in a marked graved on the edge of the forest surrounding the house.

Kassy loved her father dearly and often broke down crying these last couple of days. Bryan presented a handkerchief to her as if anticipating another crying spell. She took it and wiped her eyes, but did not cry further. Damascus knew she said she wanted to be strong in front of the children, but he knew human attachments were sometimes stronger than even the strongest of wills.

Damascus had also loved the man, who had been so kind to him over the years. And he was always so good with the boys. He hated to see Kassy so sad on a day that only moments before felt to him like a rebirth of sorts. He loved her more than life itself and he stood up, said, "Kassy, it's alright dear, don't hold it in."

She stood up as he went to her and he hugged her, she cried in his chest.

Damascus said, "...Then he charged them and said to them, 'I am about to be gathered to my people; bury me with my fathers in the cave that is in the field of Ephron the Hittite, in the cave that is in the field of Machpelah, which is before Mamre, in the land of Canaan...'

"There they buried Abraham and his wife Sarah, there they buried Isaac and his wife Rebekah, and there I buried Leah... When Jacob finished charging his sons, he drew his feet into the bed and breathed his last, and was gathered to his people. As he neared death, Jacob made his wishes known. He wanted to be buried in Canaan with his family in the field of Machpelah...