Chapter 16

"Have another drink," Talise urges me. She pushes  a cup of beer across the table at me. I'm not in the mood to reject her, which is the same reason I've agreed to go to dinner with her in the first place. It must be a testament to how terrible times must be if one is willing to pay so much to get drunk. Though I'd much rather have a nice wine than ale, I'm glad at least to be out of the castle and tiptoeing around Malissa. 

Talise folds her delicate fingers under her chin and smiles at me. Her dark eyes glitter in the candlelight bathing her face. "This is where we met. Doesn't that feel like ages ago?"

"Ages." I push my fork around my plate. 

"And it's only been a few months. A boring few months," Talise complains. Her eyebrows raise like she's had the most brilliant idea. "We should do something fun together."

I was more in the mood for fun when I first came here, when I believed my life had turned around completely, and I was finally allowed to become who I wanted. Now, Malissa is angry with me, and though Talise certainly isn't, I wonder which will bring me more trouble.

"I'm in no mood for fun," I admit, as yet another cup of beer is set before me. The wench smiles at me, and Talise glances up at her at that exact moment. 

She purses her lips and turns back to me. "You're always so serious," Talise rolls her eyes.

"I have something on my mind."

Talise reaches to take a sip of her own beer. "There's always something on your mind, Aros. You always seem troubled in a thought."

"Because I always am." My dinner with Damon and Suvia isn't for two more days. I've been waiting in agony for days to know what Damon wants to say to me. 

"You're an artist. You're supposed to be free like the wind." Talise points her fork accusingly at me. It's easy to imagine her like this back in Nyra, having dinner with her friends and teasing them. Whatever few friends she had, or even the boys, I suppose. I've yet to understand how anyone doesn't want to be friends with Talise. 

"I'd love to be," I say. "But at times when we do what we want, we act selfishly, and it leads to trouble."

"Or wonderful memories and happiness," Talise shrugs. She smiles again and shows off her perfect white teeth. I don't think it's by mistake the dress she's chosen to wear tonight exposes the top of her chest more than most of her others. Though I'm sure she wants me to, I try not to look.

"Perhaps." I sip my drink. There isn't any lively singing tonight. Everyone enjoys their own conversations, so the tavern is still quite loud. A group of men plays cards in the corner, taking turns shouting curses every time one of them loses. I miss playing cards at the palace. I wasn't great at it, but it was one of the few moments I'd spend with all my ladies together where they weren't tending on me. Now, without Malissa, only have Talise and Damon to entertain me. And Yasmin, I suppose, for however long the portrait takes. 

Talise licks her lips and stares at me intently. "If I'd known you'd be so grumpy, I wouldn't have invited you to dinner."

"You wouldn't have gone alone." It's better than asking Malissa to cook for us. This morning, she merely set my breakfast outside my door then shut herself up in her own room.

Talise smirks at me and looks down at her plate. "I thought it would be an opportunity to get to know you more. We know so little of one another."

"The long walks into town aren't enough?" I question, chewing slowly. Though the food tastes pleasant enough, it isn't Malissa's. Nor is it the palace's. I miss all the spices. 

Talise's cheeks flush. "You can never spend too much time with a friend. Besides, you've yet to paint my portrait."

"I can't do it here."