thirty seven - i'm sorry

Start from the beginning

soobin was worried about his best friend. having known yeonjun the longest out of the group, he knew how the former was often more mentally exhausted than he let out.

"you know how much he cares about disappointing others, especially those who are clearly expecting a lot from him. i'm just worried because he hasn't called as often as he did in the past, and you would think that he would call more often, what with him being alone and all..." soobin rambled and seulgi looked at him sadly.

"he's fine, he updates minyoung regularly." she informed him, remembering what her friend had told her previously.

"right..."

seulgi knew that soobin was not over minyoung no matter what the boy said, and she did not blame him — she was grappling with the same thing.

"did you..." she hesitated before gathering her courage, "did you think about what i told you last time?"

soobin was avoiding the subject.

it was silly and selfish of him, he knew that, but it was a topic he wasn't planning on discussing any time soon.

"look-" he took a deep breath, "you're a great friend."

"i want to change that." she said simply.

"i just don't see our relationship going any further than being friends, i'm sorry."

it ended there. the finality in his tone and his averted eyes made his thoughts very clear and seulgi did not want to push it any further.

she tried one last time.

"have you ever thought of me as more than a friend?" she tried to calm her heart, knowing his answer would most likely shatter any hope she still had left.

"no."

"never?"

"i've thought about it, and i feel that our relationship works the best when we're friends."

"i can change that!"

"no, i don't want you changing yourself for me. never change for someone else."

the rest of the meal was spent in silence, and once they finished their drinks they headed to the cashier to pay for the meal. soobin pulled out his wallet even before he reached the counter, as if it were the most normal thing in the world.

"we'll split." seulgi said once they had stepped out of the restaurant.

soobin, who was busy stuffing his card back into his wallet and folding up the receipt carefully, looked up in surprise.

"i said this was a treat for your getting into the team," he gave a stern stare when the girl threatened to interrupt, "and i intend to keep to my promise."

"i-"

"it was purely for that, nothing else."

and that was the end of that.

-

yeonjun gave a hiss as he slowly made his way back to his room. he had sprained his ankle again, even after having made sure to tape it up as well as possible before he went for training today. he could blame no one but himself for his re-injury, since he was purposefully pushing himself beyond his limits today.

"slow down there, yeonjun." his coach had reminded him every single time he stepped onto the track, "control your emotions."

his coach had hit the nail right on the head. yeonjun was feeling frustrated, and it had everything to do with the phone call he had had with a certain girl the night before.

"i'm dropping out."

"what, why?"

"it was the deal i made, remember?"

"do you honestly care what that girl thinks?"

"its a matter of personal pride, yeonjun! i've talked to the principal, he said i could just apply for the school again next year."

he was snapped out of his thoughts by a painful twinge in his ankle when he took a particularly ambitious step over a jacket he had carelessly thrown on the floor earlier today. letting out a string of colourful words that he was sure even beomgyu could not rival, he finally managed to hobble to his bed.

he looked up in the mirror and for the first time, noticed how haggard he looked. given, his lips were pale because of the pain he was currently feeling, but he could not help noticing how he now had dark circles under his eyes and had obviously lost some weight since he came.

yeonjun was stressed; the other student athletes he was training with were easily almost at the same standard as he was, and there were definitely those who were much better than him. 

yeonjun did not like that.

he had always been brought up to want to be the best, and he had successfully managed it throughout the years. this time however, he could not find the motivation to want to become better, all he wanted to do was go back and live a normal life.

choi yeonjun was in a slump.

+hello! thank you for all the comments, i try to reply to as many as i can but sometimes i kinda... dont know how to reply because i'm shy LOL anyways though, it really is lovely seeing all your comments and they really make my day :")