Old Memories

Chapter 2

Tasnim

Waking up today is probably the best thing I've ever decided to do. Now smelling the fresh air of breakfast in the large cafeteria, I know I made the right decision.

I looked at all the awaiting food: waffles, pancakes, omelets, bacon and more. I can't choose, honestly. It's overwhelming.

As I slide my tray along the line, I snag some waffles and turkey bacon. The line keeps going and I keep taking. At last, I pick up a bottle of lemon juice then give my student card to the cashier.

"Wait, you have a student card?" Judith, who stands beside me in line, says incredulously, staring as the cashier gives me back my card. She cuts off her own rant about how hot the weather is in Texas (I've learned she's actually from Texas).

We take our trays from the line and head off to a vacant table.

I nod and shrug. "Yeah, doesn't everyone?" I ask curiously as we sit down on a round table with attached seats.

"No, nobody has one. Unless ya'll are super rich or the school administration loves you," She says, biting into her panini. I laugh, pouring honey on to my waffles from the contents provided on the table.

"I don't know if I'm supposed to say this but, my school -- or maybe it was my government, I'm not sure -- paid for all the expenses. So really, I don't have to buy anything in school premises" I explain, cutting and taking a bite out of my delicious waffle.

Judith drops her panini.

"You lucky bastard," She whispers, still holding a nonexistent panini in her hands. I shake my head with a smile and continue finishing my food quickly.

Suddenly, she takes out a pen and starts writing on her palm, muttering, "Where did you say you were from again? They probably have enough room for one more student..."

I laugh but then my laughter dies down as I connect my eyes with familiar-looking sea green eyes across the room. The loud chatter of the cafeteria seems to have disappeared as I look into these tempting eyes.

I feel the familiar hollow feeling in my chest. I feel the familiar churns in my stomach. I feel the way those eyes could just mix my feelings with one, single glance. I can see the feeling mixing up my words, my sentences, my life.

I quickly look away and shake my head, going back to eating.

•=•=•=•=•=•=•=•=•=•=•=•=•=•=•=•

"Where're you goin'?" asks a random girl, joining me as I walk on the campus courtyard.

"Nowhere in particular," I say after a few seconds of awkwardness.

I mean, she looks like a good person. I can tell she has a strong personality, a pride, and a beret. It looks cute on her, despite her stiffness. Her strawberry-blonde hair is pinned up into a neat bun that fits her look. She has that sharp look in her striking green eyes, ones that focus a lot. Her cheekbones are high and defined, unlike many other girls, but it looks right on her.

She stops, and, out of instinct, I halt my steps too. She holds out a hand for me formally. She introduces, "Louisette Christelle Poirier"

After a few seconds of hesitation, I accept her hand and say as firmly as I can, "Tasnim AlNader"

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Tasnim. Always dreamed to meet a muslim," Louisette says wistfully, staring up.

I shift from one foot to the other, feeling extremely uncomfortable with the topic.