3:17 AM

I wake up to heavy breathing coming from V. I turn around and I see her sitting up in bed, hugging her legs with her head resting on her knees. I sit up immediately -

"V? What's going on baby are you okay?" I say, starting to grow concerned. She nods into her knees. "I'm s-sorry. go..go back t-to sleep" she says between gasps. I sit in front of her and lift her face to face me. "No, I'm not going to sleep until you tell me what's going on V..Please. I need to know" I whisper to her gently as I watch her breathe normally again. "It was just a nightmare," she says, lifting her head from her knees. My heart breaks for a second, this is the worst its ever been. I also feel relieved that it was just a nightmare and she's okay physically, at least.

"Okay baby, I'm going to hold you" I warn her, knowing that she usually likes to process these nightmares on her own before turning to me, but seeing her this way, I can't imagine going back to sleep till I know she feels safe. She doesn't say anything as I move next to her and wrap my arms around her moving her head onto my chest. I feel her collapse into me, her face buried in my neck. I pull her legs onto my lap and move her closer to me as she wraps her arms around my neck, I stroke her back.
We stay in this position for a few minutes before I whisper "are you okay?" she nods into my shoulder and I kiss her on her head. "Do you want to lie down?" I ask and she nods again. So I lie down and slide her onto my chest as I resume stroking her back. "can you tell me what it was about?" I ask softly as I stroke her hair and bring her close. She was silent for a few minutes before looking up at me and examining my face and stroking it with her thumb. "it was about you" she whispers, looking at me.

"What happened?" I ask, trying to mask my surprise and maintain the same calm tone. She was quiet for a bit longer and in the smallest of voices she says "that you were in danger..that I lost you" she looks up at me, almost as though she's afraid that she would lose me in that moment.

"How..was I in danger?" I ask.
"They came for you when I wasn't here" she whispers. "Who..the 12?" I ask, genuinely confused. She doesn't answer me, confirming that it was the 12 - the organization V works for. No one except for the main administration really know who the 12 are. It took a lot out of me to understand why V works for an organization like this and how she's okay with working for people that she doesn't even know exists. All I know now is that it really is some kind of miracle that V loves me at all. Konstantin - her handler - has on many occasions expressed that he thinks I am a distraction to V, that I've made her go soft. He once even advised us to end our relationship before we get too attached but we had already reached a point of attachment. V tends to have quite a fiery temper with most people and she especially hates it when Konstantin tries to tamper in our relationship.

She moves off my chest, snapping me back into the moment and she lays on her side, facing me as I lay on my back.

"Is it a possibility? That the 12 could hurt me?" I ask, still trying to sound calm.
"If it was..would y-you still want to be with me?" She asks softly.

I turn to her so I'm facing her. The last few months of being with V flashes in front of my eyes. Our dates, our inside jokes, the love, the lust, the fact that our physical bodies seem to be soul mates that long for each other. I watch her in the pale moonlight, her eyes glimmering, her forehead creasing as she waits for me to answer her.

"I will never really not want to be with you, V" I admit. Again, realizing the naivety of that statement. She continues to watch me for a long period of time before saying - "but I'm no-not sure h-how I would live w-with the fact that I am co-consciously putting your life at r-risk." She gasps, tears streaming down her face. "You're not putting my life at risk, V. You are not accountable for the decisions I make. And I made the decision to date you, to be in a relationship with you," I say trying to comfort her and myself. "Nothings going to happen to me, we're okay babe" I say, meaning it.

Just then our bell rings.

I turn over and look at the time - 3:17 AM. V's phone rings a second later and my heart drops to my stomach as I know it's Konstantin ready to take her for her next job. Usually if he comes at an odd hour of the night, it's urgent. I watch as V answers her phone and tells Konstantin she'll let him in in a minute. She puts her phone on her bedside table and lies back down, on her back and puts her hands on her face as she sighs. She then sits up and wipes the tears off her face before leaving the room to let Konstantin in.

———————————————————————

Bit of a dramatic chapter, this one. Let me know if you guys like it! I'm not too sure how I feel about it but I felt like this story needed some dimension to it :/

Sorry for the slight delay in updating, life has been kicking my butt recently, but thank you so much for being on standby. I don't deserve you guys!

So much love and gratitude coming your way! <3

Smell ya later! X